January 19, 2018, 11:00:15 PM

Author Topic: Who has filed a patent for a product?  (Read 1206 times)

ag2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Who has filed a patent for a product?
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
I'm looking for some advice from folks who have been through the process, or from folks who have been close to someone who has.

I feel that I need a utility patent.  I believe that I will begin with a provisional patent because it seems easier and less expensive.  My impression is that it gives me a year to explore the merits and market demand with "patent pending" protection.  After the 1 year period, I may continue with the utilty patent or choose to walk away.

Has anyone in this group "been there done that"?

Owngineer

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Owngineer blog
    • Email
Re: Who has filed a patent for a product?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:11 AM »
Been there, done that.  The provisional patent is a good way to get started and, you're right, it is much cheaper.  I've got a blog post that should be done soon but I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

In general, the strategy I use is to document the idea when it's still in embryonic form and do a quick search of the existing patent files.  The patent office has a rudimentary search engine but pro level search tools like Innography cost $40k+ per year.  If nothing is found, then go to a patent attorney and get their opinion on it.  If you don't know one, call the technology transfer office at the closest university and get their recommendation.  You could also bribe someone in the tech transfer office with lunch and pick their brain about your idea.

One other trick that you could use is "rolling" the provisional. If you don't get enough data by the end of 12 months or just aren't ready to file the full application for whatever reason, you can refile the provisional but you will lose your priority date. 

Let me know if this is enough to answer your question or, if you like, I could bump my patent article to the top of blog posts to do next.  Website is www.owngineer.com
Owngineer - Turn your technology into your business
www.Owngineer.com

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Who has filed a patent for a product?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
I'd be interested in reading that article when it is written.

From what I understand, you are not supposed to talk about a patented invention before it is patented.  If you do, you can't patent it.  That would make it rather difficult to blog about!!