January 18, 2018, 03:34:55 PM

Author Topic: Greetings from Japan  (Read 1223 times)

DELively

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greetings from Japan
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I've been listening to TSP for a few months now and recently discovered the collected rantings of an insane entrepreneur. After listening to every podcast, it turns out that the insanity is contagious and I've now been inspired to resurrect a zombie website I haven't updated in over two years.

Some background: The site, http://www.crazyjapan.com started out as an irregular (strike 1) newsletter (strike 2) to keep friends and former members of the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme up-to-date on what was happening in their old home. Along the way I added some book reviews, a guide to life in Japan and a few other odds-and-ends. It was also used as a way to learn how to design a website from scratch. I designed, for better and for worse, all the graphics and buttons--book covers excluded--and all the mark-up was done by hand. I never sought to monetize it (strike 3) and it eventually became, even in its once-a-quarter form, more work than it was worth. At its peak, it had, around 400-500 visits a day and even now, after two years of neglect, gets around 100 visits per day.

My goal is to first convert everything to WordPress to make the site easier to update and then, at long lost, treat it as the blog it should have been--heck, I don't even have a proper way to subscribe (strike 4). I'm rewriting/updating old posts to see how my predictions did, with the long term goal of selling the life in Japan guide as an ebook. I also own a few other domains that I'll work on once this one is up and running again.

As such, I'll be looking for a lot of advice from the wealth of experts on this forum. I don't have much to offer in return--I'm a decent writer and a good editor--but maybe we can make a deal when the time comes.

Yours,

D. E. Lively

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
Re: Greetings from Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.  You'll find that most of us have made the same mistakes (or are in the process of making the same mistakes), and it's all about moving forward.  I'm sure you'll learn a lot and contribute a lot as well.

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

TheDom

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Fort Myers Community Acupuncture
Re: Greetings from Japan
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
Welcome!