January 18, 2018, 03:21:24 PM

Author Topic: podcast analytics  (Read 3568 times)

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
podcast analytics
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:24 PM »
So i successfully got into itunes feed is running well and apparently someone has been listening because my google analytics showed someone had searched "great northern prepper podcast intro song"

my question was how do i set up something to monitor the feed subscriptions, itunes subscriptions, downloads, etc.  itunes says they dont do it and i cant find it in podpress.

thanks!

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: podcast analytics
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »
If you're using feedburner then there are some stats there.

http://feedburner.google.com
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
I can see that you're hosting the podcasts on your own website (i.e. http://www.greatnorthernprepper.com/PODCAST/Episode-4-7-2.mp3). I can also see that you're using HostGator, so if you go in to your HostGator control panel and scroll down to find "Awstats" (it's in the logs section) - click it and then scroll down the report until you get to "Downloads" it should show you how many times it's been downloaded.

I've been looking in to starting my own podcast recently and have watched the videos at this link: http://podcastanswerman.com/learn-how-to-podcast/. He suggests not hosting the podcats on your own site as if you get successful then your host will turn off your account due to the shear load on the servers (see "Learn How To Podcast
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
hey matt thanks for the heads up.

i will watch the vid in a few days when i have some free time, before that though what does he suggest you do for hosting the podcast files?

also i looked in my awstats and the download sections shows 4 categories

1) Hits
2) 206 Hits
3) Bandwith
4) Average Size

which one shows the download times

for a photo file it shows

hits=7
206 hits= 18
bandwith= 10.06 mb
average size= 412 kb

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
I don't know what happened there, only half my post is showing!

It went on - The video you need to watch is "Learn How To Podcast

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Strange, it failed at the same point again...

Basically he suggests going with libsyn.com, they offer unlimited downloads and if you go for the $15 per month option then they track the number of downloads for you.

The number you should be looking at in Awstats is "Hits" and "206 Hits" ("206 Hits" means that the file was partially downloaded, so they didn't listen to the whole show, however they might of listened to 99% but you can't tell).

The last thing my post mentioned was in your blogs you have a box at the bottom with an Adsense ad, and it contains the text "CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE SITE THROUGH OUR ADVERTISING" - This is a major no, no in Google's eyes! If they spot this then they will suspend your Adsense account and you won't be able to get any money out (for more details see Google's policy at http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=48182, under "Encouraging clicks" and "Learn more").

One last thing, I've noticed that your podcast won't play from within the blog posts themselves, although I don't know the reason for this.

All the best,

Matt

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
That is my fault for not reading the regs better, i was only under the impression that you couldnt click on them yourself, didnt see any fault in directing folks to click on it.  Have removed it since reading this

when i post on the blog it plays for me, whenever i do the last once over check/edit after publishing to make sure its ok

what is your browser?

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »
I use Chrome on my laptop, but I've just tried it with Internet Explorer (also on the laptop) and Safari and Dolphin on my iPad, and I can't get it to work from any of them - not even the links on the main page...

It might be worth asking around to see if others can play it.

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
You can also use Podtrac's analytics service
http://podtrac.com/
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
a friend of mine was using internet explorer and couldnt either. 

i use podpress to put everything up and it plays for me just fine.  Theres a popup if you click on the right hand side and if you click podcast it shows up with the in blog player

what else can i do?

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
I've had a look around and it could be caused by a conflict with another plugin.

There are old reports about to being with Google Analytics (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-podpress-play-in-popup-not-working-on-main-page) but I think this has been sorted now.

Obviously, you'd like to keep the analytics, so first things first check that you've got the latest versions of both PodPress and Analytics installed. I had a similar problem once with two plugins conflicting and had to do the following:

1) De-activate all your plugins apart from PodPress
2) Get your friend to check if your podcast works
3) If it does, start re-activating one plugin at a time, getting your friend to check after each one
4) There will be one plugin that when you activate it will stop your podcast from working. Once you know which one it is type "PodPress xxxxx conflict" in Google (where xxxxx is the name on the conflicting plugin) and see what comes up

Also let me know which one is causing the error as I'd be interested to know.

dude4business

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Poor Man Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
Hello,

I use podtrac and blubrry for podcast analytics.  I used to use the podpress plugin for podcasting, but I could not get the before mentioned tracking services to work with podpress.  So, I switched over to the blubrry powerpress plugin for podcasting.  Once I switched, I was able to get podtrac and blubrry tracking to work. 

dude4business
Lat Cozad
Just a man working for a better tomorrow.  A life away from S-Mart. 

"Shop smart, Shop S-Mart"

www.poormanprepper.com

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
i have deactivated webninja google analytics, perhaps a few of you on chrome and IE can tell me if the podcast works now? 

if not i will call my buddy and go through them each 1 by 1 which i reaaaallly dont want to do!

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »
I've checked again in Chrome and Internet Explorer but it's still not working (using the links in your left side panel of the site). If I play through http://www.greatnorthernprepper.com/category/podcast/ using the links next to where it says "Audio MP3" then it works.

Just so I'm clear, the left side panel links are one's I've talking about. They worked the first time I visited your site, so can you remember which plugins you've installed since the 14th July as that might save you some time. I only tried the one's at the link above today.