October 22, 2014, 04:19:13 PM

Author Topic: Episode-123- Ad "Muting", Playing with Bing, Pictures Rule All on FB and More  (Read 2833 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The podcast for this post is at http://bit.ly/NyNbXz

So it is Friday and time for another edition of Five Minutes with Jack, the 5 minute podcast that is 60 minutes long on average, such is the ramblings of an insane internet entrepreneur.  Today I have some new and cool and different stuff along with a typical ass kicking level of motivation to just get your ass to work and get going.

Join Me Today As We Discuss...

Google ads Ad Muting, why it could be great or pointless
    Bing Maps and an Experiment I Want Your Help With (this can be cool)
    If you want real results on Facebook post pictures, they rule all
    How to build a multi contributor blog that kicks ass - why most fail
    Thoughts on the monetization of your own persona data (for yourself double edged knife)
    Why I love but never use social bookmarking
    Why your blog should look good, flow good and feel professional (spend 300 bucks guys!)
    Setting up a fake blog on a sub-domain and playing with it and installing everything
    Once again why I recommend HostGator for most of you
    The power of action even when it gives initial poor results

danzaland

• Student
    • View Profile
The Bing images are shot by Pictometry, based in Rochester, NY. They have planes with cams. I had interviewed as a photoshop guy to manipulate the images and was impressed with the work they do! They shoot TONS of pictures from multiple directions to make the great images.

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Bing images are shot by Pictometry, based in Rochester, NY. They have planes with cams. I had interviewed as a photoshop guy to manipulate the images and was impressed with the work they do! They shoot TONS of pictures from multiple directions to make the great images.

Oh to have the budget of Microsoft!  Imagine the budget to warrant paying people to fly around and take pictures of the entire country.  Wow just wow!

danzaland

• Student
    • View Profile
And then the budget to pay people to photoshop the images on 2 shifts. Once I realized Bing used Pictometry I switched A) because it is a superior product and B) to support the hometown business!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
I think it depends on where you are at.  I'm not seeing a difference in sharpness between the 2.  I can count the vents and chimney's on top of the houses on both for the ones I'm looking at.   

However, if I switch from bird's eye to street, I'm not getting street in the rural areas here on Bing.  They do show up on Google's. 

Biggest difference I'm seeing is the Bing maps for the rural area here are outdated, several years old, the google ones are fairly recent, within the past year.   I'd checked places I know, where new gardens have been started 2-3 years ago, they don't show up on Bing, they show up on Google. Abandoned Christmas tree farm looks nice on Bing, but Google's is more accurate. 

Checking some more, Bing has both bird's eye view and aerial, their aerial view is current, much like Google's but not as sharp as google's or bing's bird's eye.    This may vary with the 2 companies in different areas, depends on where whom is filming most recent.  In the rural areas local to me, I can flip from Bing's bird eye to aerial and see what has changed in an area past few years.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
I wonder if Bing is consistantly better than Google in pulling up the right address.  I know Google has gotten it wrong several times before.  Just looked up a rural property locally and Google was way off in pinpointing the property, didn't even get the right street or area.

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
I know I picked the right place to build my house, because both Bing's and Google's photos of it are about 5 years old and really low resolution. :)

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
OK - I'm normally a Google guy, but this week as per Jack's challenge, I'm trying Bing.  So far, I'm not seeing anything much better or worse.  The bird's eye view angle was interesting, but not superb.  I'll keep working it for the week and see if I notice any significant differences.
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/