October 21, 2017, 04:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Want to move into a new type of content.  (Read 1200 times)

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
Want to move into a new type of content.
« on: July 08, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
Hey folks.

My current blog is about competitive shooting, gun rights, gear reviews for shooting stuff etc. I want to keep it going tithe the shooting stuff, but I want to start going into some more outdoors stuff, not necessarily shooting related (geocaching, hiking, biking, camping, backpacking, etc.)

My question is this: start another blog completely, or is the "tactical" site enough to cover all of this? I'm really thinking I should start another site, but that means building another fan base, etc.

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
Re: Want to move into a new type of content.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
I'd go with starting a new site. My reasons are:

1) You can promote the new site from your current site, therefore any audience members who are interested in the new stuff can pop on over

2) I think it's best not to diversify too much. Be an expert in your field. If you think about Jack's Survival Podcast, he could easily put business tips on there (looking at it for a financial survival standpoint) but he created another channel and now people view him as an expert in BOTH survival and business!

3) I'd rather have a couple of different sites as I don't like having a single source of failure.

Hope this helps,

Matt
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
Thanks! I agree 100% as well, good point about being an expert, and not diversifying too much.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
You have to think about whether you are going to have time to update two sites with new content.

I have thought about doing what you're doing but I just can't imagine having the time to be able to do several posts to multiple different blogs every week.  That is why I just have one.

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:35:30 AM »
I just had the same sort of dilemma - I want to start covering a lot more about gun design , engineering, and manufacturing but my main blog (ForgottenWeapons.com) is about unusual historical firearms. I decided to start a second blog (GunLab.net), with the knowledge that it will not be updated daily (more like 2-3 times/week). So far, it's been surprisingly easy to produce content for it. Certainly a lot less apparent workload than my main site was when I started it. Once you get used to writing something daily, I think a second blog on a different topic gets a lot easier to do.