January 21, 2018, 02:39:42 AM

Author Topic: Camera for Shooting videos  (Read 1682 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Camera for Shooting videos
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
I am looking for a camera for making shooting videos (gun). I want something as affordable as possible. I really like the gopro. But it seems kinda expensive for me at this time.

I want to be able to make shooting videos and stationary videos of me doing things like cleaning a gun. I would like the stationary videos to be done single handedly if possibly, finding help is hard for me.

Is there a camera you suggest? I would like to keep it cheap since my blog/YouTube hasn't really started making money yet.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
Re: Camera for Shooting videos
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:42:46 AM »
I've done a few videos in the past (weddings for friends and a stuff at work), and the key things are lighting and sound. If you're going to be talking when demonstrating there are three options:

1) Get a recorder that can take an external microphone

2) Have a separate sound recorder to the camera near to you, and edit the sound and video together in post production (if you start the video with a loud hand clap at the beginning it'll be easier to sync during post-production)

3) Dub the video at the end, although I don't really like this way of doing things as it moves over as unnatural.

I know you want as cheap as possible, but could you define what type of budget you are looking at as it'll help us help you?

Do you have access to any camera equipment currently?
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
Currently I use my HTC inspire 4g to record my videos.

I don't plan on doing much talking at this point. Maybe some later on, but now I mostly want to do shooting videos.

As for a budget I'd like to keep it under $150 but that may not be possible for what I'm wanting.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:47:01 AM »
What's wrong with it? If you make your own tripod mount with a hard case, velcro and "angle-iron" for it, it should work great.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »
I am using a Panasonic HC-V10 with a Pearstone VT-2100 Fluid Head Video Tripod.  I recommend a real tripod and not trying to make one out of angle iron.  The  best feature of the tripod is that you can easily change its height and set it on unlevel ground because the legs are adjustable.  ABout $300 total for those two plus a memory card.

Here you can see a shooting video I made with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDtGEW4gFs

(I know my shooting skills are bad, that was just for fun)

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
I agree. But you're using a video camera that's designed for a tripod. What I mean is that if you want to use your phone with a tripod you must buy a hardcase designed for mounting it to a tripod, or make your own and then you can buy a tripod.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
Ah.  Yeah I started with iphone but it was too hard to hold it still enough to make good videos.  They were all shaky.  That is why I upgraded to a camera.  I guess you could make a simple tripod for a phone yourself tho.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
I got a tripod mount for my iPhone on amazon for $10 I think. It works pretty well. I have used my phone for every video I have done. Maybe in the future I will get a regular camera. For now the phone cam is doing the job.

I also like that I can upload right to YouTube. No need to load to the laptop then upload.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership