January 16, 2018, 02:54:25 PM

Author Topic: Videos - great way to get your name out there.  (Read 2062 times)

HowlinDog

• Student
    • View Profile
Videos - great way to get your name out there.
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
I knew my blog is on a topic that is not very popular and I have been having a little problem focusing on exactly where I want to take it, with limited time available to work on it.... The SEO word list searches were not much help ... lots of words with high competition and really low demand.   However, I lucked out, designing things often require drawing them and CAD is what people normally use to do that.   I found a good open source 2D CAD program available for free on Windows, Mac, and Linux but there is very poor documentation on how to use it.   
Screen capture software allowed me to create some tutorial videos,  CAD is a good search term on both Google and YouTube... and away I went.   My numbers are still not fantastic but they are growing.
I am getting more and more hits on youtube and I put some screens in most of the videos funnelling back to my site.   It is working very well.   I would encourage anyone out there to do something similar to drive people toward your site.

Gary

An example Video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjEW_MD35o&feature=plcp

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Re: Videos - great way to get your name out there.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
I'm beginning to think that the trifecta of blog, youtube, and podcast seems to be the way things are going. I was listening to the podcast at smartpassiveincome.com and he was saying iTunes and youTube has helped him reach more people than he could've with just a blog.

HowlinDog

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
I tried podcasting at the start... I can make it better, but I don't think I would ever "get it there".   I listened to what I was trying to put out and heck it put me to sleep.  If I am talking a subject that is general in nature I can do ok, but most of what I talk about requires diagrams or pictures and if I attempt to do that by just talking it becomes tedious for both me and the listener.
The videos have been screen capture videos with me talking through operation of some software and basically creating a tutorial. I may in the near future try one with  a power point with pictures loaded into it and talk through that.   Videos are nice because they have staying power compared to a blog which rolls back as newer blog posts are added.
Currently I am trying to put most of the emphasis on the blog and pretty much only using the podcast when I can add more detail than I am willing to type into the blog.  In other words the notes are a stand-alone blog, but there is additional information in the audio.   Obviously, I am still finding my way, but Video seems to be a key in it all.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
Your idea is actually really good.  My day job involves using Open Source software so I know a lot about it.

Besides just LibreCAD, you could also produce instructions/videos on other Open Source programs.  These tools are written by computer geeks who are good at programming, but not good at explaining themselves.

On other hand, you have the users of the Open Source programs who just want to get their work done, but can't find any instructions.

If you could bridge the gap between those two groups you will have a lot of success I think.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:54:25 AM »
My son is an open source programmer/developer and has been a fan of open source everything for many years, one of those computer geeks.  He makes good money doing what he loves. He is speaking in Portland right now.   Yes, there are missing instructions.  I've been lucky in that my son could just show me on a screen how things worked such as using Gimp.

other Open Source programs.  These tools are written by computer geeks who are good at programming, but not good at explaining themselves.

On other hand, you have the users of the Open Source programs who just want to get their work done, but can't find any instructions.

If you could bridge the gap between those two groups you will have a lot of success I think.

Challenge is finding ways to monetize sites with open source tutorials.  It is possible, but often harder as you don't have affiliate links to buying the software as the software is free.  Why more tutorials available for the software you purchase.  And people who don't buy software, often don't want to buy tutorials either. I still believe that any site to which you can drive good traffic will have a way to make money. 

My son introduced his high school teacher (drafting cad type class) to various free open source programs.

HowlinDog

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
I may very well create a few more tutorials on the open source software.   It would be a good way to drive people toward my site.   I am not at the monetization stage yet... I am just trying to build a following.   If I choose to do more videos it will be on ones related with the goal of the site.   Probably the next video will be how to create a screen video in Linux because I had a heck of a time doing it on my first video... (5 minute video cost me probably about 20 hours of work trying to figure out the work around.... so there definitely is a "need".... LOL

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »
Nice, Just what I needed. I want to learn CAD and have looked into some of the free software but with everything else I just never get the time to really learn any of it. Never thought of looking for a video on YouTube...funny since I put DIY videos on there..lol

Just subscribed...
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
It's also a great idea to have a clickable link at the top, in the video description, with a "call to action".
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers