September 02, 2014, 07:57:02 AM

Author Topic: Episode-121- Format Changes and Getting Your Business Moving  (Read 1889 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Podcast Episode for this Post is at http://bit.ly/N2Pik6

Today will be the first show with the new roughly one hour format.  I will go over what the changes mean, what they can bring to the table and how they should help everyone including me do a better job with their businesses.

I also want to cover something that I think can help with getting your business moving in the right direction, both mechanically and mindset wise.

Today on that note we will discuss...

There is no substitute for action
    Marketing yourself regardless of your business
    Facebook promotion for pay, my thoughts on it
    Is there a gaping hole in today's social media world
    Should YouTubers forget about video editing all together
    The magic wand question and what it can teach you
    The evolution of language and why resistance is futile
    If you want it, take it

Here is a link to the Youtuber I mentioned, like I said, great guy, funny, different but should be cutting 3 minute vs 6 minute vids or covering two subjects per video.  If you don' t like his politics you are missing the point, remember you make content for YOUR audience. http://www.youtube.com/user/Whateverhappentocomm

kreindl

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: Episode-121- Format Changes and Getting Your Business Moving
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Thanks for continuing!  Another great episode and I enjoyed the longer format.  Listening to it a second time now.  Glad you mentioned web hosting companies since it felt really personal since I run one.

Great thoughts once again!

I think interviews will be great.  I am planning to interview as many self employed/business owners as I can so as to show people there are all kinds of ways to achieve freedom.  I bet you can find some great people to interview as well even outside of pod casting/internet.

As you always say take some action!  I added a new podcast today and am figuring out how to get my itunes feed submitted.

Thanks again no matter what day you put these out they will be much appreciated and great motivation!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
I second that! I'll be listening while I'm out in the garden...

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
Just finished listening to the episode. Loved it as always. In particular I loved the part about people nit picking and obsessing over tiny details like commas. As a full time programmer I deal with that a LOT.

"This font is too small"
"That's not the right shade of blue"
"I'm not sure that icon properly conveys our message"
etc.
etc.

But I also realized that I was guilty of that on my blog and in over editing my podcast to remove every last imperfection. Not gonna happen anymore!

I also agree that the name does need a change. I think your suggestion of "The Road to 100k Podcast" would work. It says exactly what the show is about.

Thanks again for all you do!

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
Nice to have the Podcast back!

I committed a from day one to not really edit my videos. I was shooting videos in my garage, and twice the light for the opener went out. HAHA, I just left it in and made a joke about it. It makes shooting the video a little more interesting.

Looking forward to next week!

Cheers
Charles
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Jerry Ward

• Student
    • View Profile
    • My 10 Acres
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:04:42 AM »
I believe just a little editing for YouTube videos is good.  I want to put 5 seconds of title page at the beginning and sometimes some comments in the middle.  However what I want and am unable to find is a good easy to use cut editor.  A cut editor is just that, it allows you to cut out segments of video you don't want.  Of course I'm videoing activities not a white board presentation or review.  I always end up too long and will lose peoples interest.  For example my bee hive update video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3WIeU9D7So) was something like 30 minutes of source footage.  But I cut out segments that were repetitive or I was simple off camera going to get something.  The end result was just under 10 minutes that I consider much more watchable.

I do however agree that you shouldn't worry about trying to produce a professional video unless you really are a professional.  Content is King!  You are better off uploading a video with no editing and interesting content then waiting until you can edit it.
Trying to build a personal online brand and an Urban Homestead
http://www.my10acres.info

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
I think it depends on whether you have a plan of some sort for what you have to say.  I've found that I have to do tons of editing on my videos because I don't even know what I am going to talk about when I turn on the camera.  However, if you write down a sort of plan of what you will say, you won't need to do as much editing.

dude4business

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Poor Man Prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
I really appreciate this podcast and videos from the beginning.  By the way, Episode 49 - Leading A Team Of One, is by far my favorite show.  This forum rocks as well.

Anyway, thanks much for the help.

Take Care,

dude4business
Lat Cozad
Just a man working for a better tomorrow.  A life away from S-Mart. 

"Shop smart, Shop S-Mart"

www.poormanprepper.com