January 21, 2018, 08:14:32 PM

Author Topic: Facebook Likes  (Read 5135 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Facebook Likes
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
I have had a Facebook for my blog since sometime last year. When I started my blog I was big into Facebook for personal use. I think I created Facebook before Twitter even. I got discouraged and stopped using it a few different times. I have now been using twitterfeed for a few weeks and still nothing. I have 11 followers, one of which is my personal Facebook.

My Twitter is doing great, but I can't seam to get Facebook to take off. Am I doing something wrong?
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Facebook Likes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:43:39 AM »
I've got the same problem. 180 followers on Twitter but only 10 on my Facebook page. How do you promote that you have a Facebook page, what do you post on it?
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
I'm not doing much promotion. I have it on my YouTube videos, and I tweet about it on occasion. With no one on there I found it looks bad to ask questions and get no answers, so I just post a link to my blog posts to there.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
I'm trying to take Jack's advice from todays post and upload a picture to see if it gets me more reach. I can't seam to get it to upload. I always have problems with posting.

Does anyone else ever have problems with Facebook? I'm currently using my mobile device.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
I think FB is or has intentionally left business pages sort of swinging in the wind. When I started my horror site, I made a Twitter and a FB on the same day. It took 2 weeks for that page to be searchable within FB, and it was a "known issue" on the help pages and forum. It took another week for me to assign myself admin status through my personal FB page. It's still sort of wonky but it at least works now.

There is a plugin called "Link to Facebook" that automatically links your blog posts and you can choose an image to go with it. I've found that that helps me keep up with stupid Facebook because I don't like going over there to try to be clever.

Maverick9110e

• Student
  • New Shooters Resource
    • View Profile
    • New Shooters Resource
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »
The biggest think i think is to also spread the word on your personal page.  The other thing i've don is went and liked as many other pages as i can that i like and fit well with the business as well.  Also dropping a line saying hello and telling them to check us out.  I only launched on Friday and i only have about 27 likes but i like to think it will work in the long run. 

Speaking of which i'll be sure to drop you guys a "like" later tonight while i'm on FB as you guys have a great subject going!

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
Maybe we could do a "Facebook Roll Call" thread like the twitter one. If we all toss each other a "Like" it can't hurt!

Also, even though I've already "liked" your page, you might want to make it easier for people to find your Facebook page from your blog. You've got all the social sharing covered under each post, but it's just for people to share your post on Facebook. You might want to consider adding a regular link to your Facebook page (and Twitter) in one of your sidebars.

Just a thought!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
As i don't really like FB, and much prefer Twitter, I know it's once of those games you have to play. My FB count was pretty sorry last November, but I made a weekly practice of liking other pages, liking posts, commenting, sharing posts, and somehow my likes have grown to over 500. I'm not sure with the promoted posts thing (lame!!!), but give it a try.

I also try to answer people questions too.  A lot of pages I go to seem like such ghost towns! It just them posting their articles from their blog. If I see something funny related to my niche on someone else's page, I make sure to share it on my page. I also post personal stuff two, so that I seem much more human.

Hope that helps!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
I wrote up a pretty basic Facebook Fan Page Promotional Guide. I hope this will be useful for you guys to get it rolling.

Your personal facebook page is now dead to you for your business as of this moment. If you want to use it it's for communication with your family and friends or finding out that jimmy had a taco for lunch.

Step #1 brand and websites use fan pages... so make sure you have that. (many of you reading this probably already do)

Step #2 When doing anything business related or related to your brand or blog NEVER EVER EVER use your personal profile to comment/share/post whatever. Always click in the upper right and log in as your page

OK I have 4k followers on facebook so i know a thing or 2 about building fans. It's not the greatest number.. but what's impressive is I grew by over 1000 in a 1 month time period where i had it as a focus... READ- before my son was born.. LOL!

Here are the magic steps

1 - Right away you need to LIKE at least 100 pages in your niche. Other peoples pages. Remember you can always unlike things. If you need an easy hit and are in homesteading/survival niche feel free to browse the pages I have liked http://www.facebook.com/saveourskills

2 - When logged in as your page hit the facebook logo to view your new and improved feed filled with popular stuff. 3 or 4 times per day you will Share 1 piece of content from one of these new pages you have liked.  When you share it you will provide your own comment about that piece of content.

3 - You will almost exclusively post pictures on your facebook wall. Even if you post a podcast episode link you will do it as a photo post. Photo posts are out ranking all other posts by a decent margin in stats.

4- If someone "shares" one of your posts hit the link to see who shared it. If it is another page (which is often the case) click on that link to get to their page. Like their page (if not already liked) and thank that person for sharing your post. Next browse their page and comment on 5 or 6 of their posts. Good comments and relevant.

5- Browse you feed. Aim to make 30 to 40 comments on other peoples posts per week.

6 - once you are engaging and establish some report w/ other pages then you should start sending traffic to these other pages. When you make a post hit the @ symbol to tag the other page when you share their content. Tell people it's an awesome page and they should go there and "like" it.  About 60% of the time you will get them to recommend you back to their fan. I once got a page that had 30k subs to tag me and tell their visitors to check me out... it ended up netting me about 500 fans in one day. 

Don't just suggest huge pages... help out the small guys once you got some traffic going. Trust me they will not forget it.  If you have shared some content and given a suggestion and the other page has had 3 or 4 days and they have not suggested you to their fans.. at this time, and only this time, is it appropriate to post to their wall and specifically ask them (very nicely) to suggest you to their fans. Here is a template message

"I absolutely love your page. Particularly the posts about X. I've been sharing your content with my fans and they are loving it! Keep up the good work. Check out my page.. if you think your audience would like it I would really appreciate you sending some of your fans my way. Either way, keep up the great work!!! -<Your Name>"

7- Give away something decent. Like a $40 leatherman. Don't do this until you have at least 500 fans. If you want decent ROI you need enough soldiers to drum up the interest.

OK you have the basic gist down now of marketing on facebook. When you post as your page the name on your post is a link back to your page for people to like you.  Your basically putting out a shitload of facebook backlinks to your page whenever you comment as your page.

Downside: No app that i know of for a smartphone allows you to post on someone elses page as your own page... so you can make posts to your own wall via your phone but save commenting on their peoples posts for your laptop/desktop work

I used facebooks option to hook my page to twitter.. so new facebook posts go to my twitter automatically

I'm now recommending instagram for sharing photos to the facebook fan page. I used to use the facebook iphone app but they screwed up the functionality. Currently if you post a photo it posts to your fan page as your personal profile and then nobody will see it

QUick run down of page vs/ personal

#1 - personal - this is a different relationship. People will "like" a brand w/o a seconds hesitation, however they will not become your friend because they don't  know you in real life.  Even if they are a fan of your blog

#2 - becoming your personal friend allows you to see all their personal stuff which most people don't know how to change the privacy settings and people like me that do can't be bothered so will just not do it

#3 - if you post something from the personal page and I see it and i want to engage.. if it's a fan page i hit like and engage instantly. If it's a personal page i have to "request friendship" which you then have to approve. Meanwhile my desire to engage is now gone since it's a day later and that post is way down on your feed.

#4 - the most important aspect. All other points don't even matter when you consider it. You are limited to 1000 friends as a personal profile. Ok so it's pretty much a waste of time to build up a personal profile only to have to abandon it if you have any measure of success.

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
My Facebook page and personal page are in no way connected. I do not see some of the things you talked about. I can not figure out how to like other pages is that because they are not connected? I also don't know of a timeline through my fan page. Where can I find that, or does it show up if I connect the two. I more than likely will never connect the two.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:39:49 AM »
I wrote up a pretty basic Facebook Fan Page Promotional Guide. I hope this will be useful for you guys to get it rolling.

Thanks - this is a great intro.  I'm going to save a link to this thread to come back to when I'm ready to push on Facebook...

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »

I started following your advice on Saturday. So far I've done step 1. I'm not quite up to 100 pages liked but I'm close.

Today I've started doing the sharing thing.

I don't have any new "Likes" yet from "people" but I have several new "Likes" from other pages. I'm not sure why these two numbers aren't combined on my page as one big "Like" number.

I'm going to keep following your suggestions and will report back in a month!

Thanks for the tips!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
@gunpreps

I'll make a basic screencast this week and post it to this thread. Too hard to explain by typing. Easier to just record my screen.

But in brief

1- To like a page just go to the page and hit like at the top.. for example http://www.facebook.com/saveourskills

2- To view posts from all pages you have liked first switch over to your page (upper right corner of the site)  now click the facebook logo in the upper left

3- to see your own wall just click your username

4- to see pages I have liked go to my facebook page (linked above) and scroll down. In the right column is a box called "likes" from there click "see all" then just click on any page name and from there you can click like on any pages... use the same strategy on there page to see who they like.

Suggestion... go to a site like TSP on facebook if that is your niche... just like eveyrthing they like... don't worry about if you actually like it or not. Nobody looks at this list... this is just to build your feed (see 2) so that you can start sharing content... remember you can always remove a like

-Nick
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »
So I'm trying to follow this advice. Only problem is that when I "like" genre pages they default to my personal page. I have admin set up so I can control the business page through the personal page. FB says "You are now posting, sharing, and liking as Scarydad. Click here to switch to personal profile"

But as Scarydad, when I "Like" a page it "Likes" as me, not the business. If I log out of my personal page and log in only as the business, the search function is gone and I cannot "like" pages or people.

Is this a recent thing or is there a problem with my FB page? When I set this one up it took almost 3 weeks for it to be searchable. FB fan pages are very limiting...

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
My personal page is not linked to my fan page and like you it does not work. I never see others posts nor can I like or share pages/posts.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness