January 18, 2018, 03:33:32 PM

Author Topic: Research First  (Read 1050 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Research First
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
Please please research all business ideas first before trying them.

A friend and I had the idea to make a site for lyric writers to sell their lyrics. We purchased a domain and started looking for the perfect way to make this work. We tried several different ways. A classifieds where you can list your lyrics. Just a blog where you list your lyrics. We could not find a way to sell the lyrics through the site and us get a small cut of the sale. Finally about two weeks into the venture we decided that WE would just list their lyrics in an online store and if they sold send the writer their cut through paypal. We then started looking further into how to protect the lyrics from copyright infringement. That is when we discovered that there is no way to do this. Someone could just come on our site steal the lyrics and never pay. They could sing the song therefore copyrighting the lyrics to them and never paying the origional writer. Or we found another loop hole. The writer could copyright the lyrics, sell them on our site then sue the buyer if the song becomes popular since they own the copyright and never transfered it.

Over all we just lost hope and it only coat us the price of a domain. We will turn the domain into a niche site about music and move on to a new venture. We always wondered why someone had not thought of that type of site. Now we know.

Please please learn from our mistake and research your ideas thoroughly. I have a feeling this discouraged my friend from the website business.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Research First
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
Here is an idea for your site that someone told me about, based on another writing site.

My friend is a writer (not a blogger).  She posts on this one site that is for writers only.  They post their stories and the forum members review them.

You would think that you would get points or something for posting a story on a writers forum?

No!  Surprisingly, the site works completely the opposite of the normal book business.  To post a story you have to have points and the only way you get points is to review OTHER people's stories.  So this site works in the exact opposite of the normal publishing industry, yet it is quite successful.  (This is how she explained it to me - I haven't used the site.)

I don't know if I've explained it well, but maybe you could do something similar on your site.  Rather than having people selling their lyrics, make some way to FORCE them to be part of a "community."  e.g. give them credits for playing a song to the lyrics someone wrote and posting it on youtube or something like that.  You know?  Kind of the opposite of copyright.  Perhaps lyric writers could help each other by editing each others lyrics.

I don't know.  I know that is a lot of work.  Those are just some ideas I had.