January 18, 2018, 03:22:14 PM

Author Topic: Problems recording skype with audacity  (Read 3737 times)

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
Problems recording skype with audacity
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Hi again everyone,

Now that I solved my microphone/breathing solution I've been attempting to record a podcast episode while talking to someone through skype. I'm still using the same Logitech headset with an attached microphone to do it. When I play it back my voice sounds fine but the other persons voice is very soft. I ran the file through levallator and all it did was make the other voice (coming through skype) sound a bit louder but very tinny. My own voice is much louder still. I've also tried using the Level and Compressor effects on audacity which makes the other person a bit louder and me even louder.

I've got the microphone and speaker on the audacity program set to go through the headset. I'm not sure how to solve this problem of making the other person talking through skype. Any ideas? Is there some setting that I'm not adjusting correctly? Hope someone here has an idea of where I'm going wrong. Thanks!

Penny

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Problems recording skype with audacity
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
That's why you should record the audio to separate files/channels. You can then  split the channels to separate tracks in Audacity. I know that a lot of people recommends Pamela, including Jack.

http://voipcallrecording.com/
http://www.pamela.biz/en/
http://scribie.com/free-skype-recorder
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
That's why you should record the audio to separate files/channels. You can then  split the channels to separate tracks in Audacity. I know that a lot of people recommends Pamela, including Jack.

I guess my problem is how do you record as separate files/channels. When I'm using the headset and talking to someone on skype both voices show up on the project window (there's only 1 blue line showing the spikes as people talk).

Sorry to sound clueless. I've been reading through the various tutorials and perhaps haven't made it to the explaination of creating separate files.

Penny

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:23:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

After much research on how to record a skype call with audacity while using a USB headset I thought I would post some of the info I found in case others are having the same issue.

It seems if you are using a headset microphone and talking on skype then you can't record in stero on audacity. It seems skype doesn't not like to play with other programs when it comes to recording. Usually the microphone and the speakers should show up as two separate time lines on audacity. But skype does not allow this to happen. This explains why I could not get the USB mic and the incoming skype call to have their own individual time lines so the skype call could be editited and the volume increased.

So far, all the posts that I have found regarding using a USB microphone to record a skype call on the audacity forums have suggested that the paid version of Pamela or some other similar program be used to record the skype call. This allows the USB mic and the skype caller to have the same volume when it is recorded. Another solution offered is to buy a microphone that is NOT plugged into the computer by a USB port.

I haven't tried either option yet but those seem to be the only workable solution. The problem appears to be the USB port microphone. I'll be testing out Pamela later today to see if it works. Thanks for everyone's help.

Penny