January 18, 2018, 03:17:36 PM

Author Topic: Monologue vs cohost  (Read 1178 times)

jamesandthegiantkeg

• Student
    • View Profile
    • James and the Giant Keg.com
Monologue vs cohost
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »
I started podcasting a couple months ago. I only started when I finally found someone who could cohost with me, someone I knew from high school who was interested in the idea. He's usually dependable, but we haven't been able to put up an episode every week like I wanted. Ive been posting on Facebook for my friends to see about finding another cohost, or maybe just a back up for when my first cohost can't make it. But I don't seem to be getting anyone else on board.

The problem is that I don't think I could do a decent podcast by myself, even though I know others can. My style is very open and conversational. Is this just something I need to work on so that I can do it on my own when no one else can cohost?

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
Re: Monologue vs cohost
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
The bottom line answer is this: it's your business and you can do whatever you want or do not want.  If you do not like doing it solo mio then you don't have to. 

However, I'm wondering what your reasoning behind not being able to is.  You mentioned that you have style that is "very open and conversational" which is great for podcasting, even on an individual level.  What's holding you back?  There are two possibilities that I'm thinking. 

1.) You evaluated you strengths and weaknesses and decided that, with your skill sets, doing a solo recording just cannot be fit in effectively.  I can certainly understand and respect that.  I have little skill at designing logos, so I paid someone else to do that and collaborated instead.

2.) There is some part of you that is telling yourself you cannot, when in fact you can.  And you might be able to crush it individually.  If this is the case you are missing out on a smash hit of a show simply because of some inaccurate thought. 

Fact of the matter is, you might not be as good as Jack at the start.  Or, maybe you were born for solo recording.         But either way, you can always improve and hone your skills. 

So, options are, you could just wait until you find that cohost or your could try solo recording and see how it goes.  I would suggest, just give it a try and see.  I would be willing to listen to the episode and let you know what I think and I imagine several FMWJ members would as well.  Just let me know.

R1

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
If you bring in guests it wouldn't be solo either.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
I think that most podcasts aren't very good at the beginning. One of my favorite podcasts is a longtime geocaching podcast put out weekly by a husband and wife team. They started in 2005. They, as a team, admit that their original podcasts weren't very good, and I have to agree. But now, with all their experience, they sound fantastic. They are often nominated for those podcasting awards.

Would it help to do some scripting? You could always add your last minute thoughts while you're recording which would make it sound more free flowing.