January 19, 2018, 10:45:12 PM

Author Topic: Inexpensive Video Camera Suggestions Needed  (Read 1559 times)

Doodle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inexpensive Video Camera Suggestions Needed
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
I need help picking out a video camera.  I have done research and it seems impossible to find a decent camera that has all the features that I want...it's funny cuz I have a camera that was "free" with some subscription that I signed up for.  It allows me to plug in a mic, and also a tv monitor...but the video quality is awful, there is no way to plug it into an ac adapter and it burns through batteries very quickly.

If the camera has a largish view finder that I can flip around to make sure I'm, or what I want recorded is still in the shot, and an external mic input that will be fine. 

I also need it to take high enough quality video in the event that I want to use it to make a dvd in the future...however, I'm not looking to spend $400 on this venture.  Of course I will if I have to...$200 is more of what I'm in the market to spend.

Thanking you all in advance for all your help!

Blessings and Abundance to All!

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Inexpensive Video Camera Suggestions Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
Almost all pocket cameras today can record HD (720p) or full HD (1080p). You can also use your phone if you have an expensive smartphone like iPhone/iPod 4. I know that Canon is a great camera brand
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

Doodle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:37 PM »
hahahahahaha...smart phone...hahahahahaha!

I'm queen cheap!  I don't yet need a smart phone, so I have one if those free, pay as you go phones that I use so infrequently that I pay $100 for a year of service and $60 of talk time (I think) and I've managed accumulate over $160 minutes in talk time so far.  As my business grows I'm sure I'll need/could afford one (a smart phone)...but until then, I will just look for a camera.

I did purchase a pocket camera not all that long ago...it powered up once, I test recorded a very short video...and that's the last time the unit powered up.  Had to fight with the store to return it as they had a 14 day return policy...that was really 13 days as they counted the whole day that I purchased it as one day...I suppose.  The most I could get was a gift card or an exchange for the same pos that I originally purchased.

I'm hoping to get something made well, but not over priced...looking for specific brand/model suggestions.

Thanks! 

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »
You could consider getting an Ipod touch. I shoot/edit all my videos on my Iphone. The touch is basically the same thing w/o the phone.

You can get the Wordpress app (free) and load pics right into a post. In a pinch I can do a post from my phone.

The best part is, I upload all my videos to Youtube right from the phone. You can get a touch for about $200..
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Doodle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Thank you humblemechanic!

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
I can also recommend the app FiLMiC Pro if you want more features like an audio meter and change the fps to 24 fps. But the defayly camera app works great so you don't need to. Actually I was surprised how great video and audio this (yes I'm using it to write this post) product is for video production. Only problem can be if you want some kind of tripod. But there must me some way... I've been looking at some DIY on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwshg8mRSuQ
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers