January 18, 2018, 03:12:44 PM

Author Topic: How to get rid of breathy sounds on podcast  (Read 3419 times)

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
How to get rid of breathy sounds on podcast
« on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

First I just want to say thanks to everyone who posts on this forum, shares info and answers questions. Truly you guys and gals are awesome. I took a brake from my blog to re-evalute things since it seemed to be going no where. After chatting with friends who were actually reading it they seemed to think it was rather boring to read but they enjoyed asking me questions live and in person. Seems I'm much more amusing when talking but non of that comes across in writing. So, after much thought, I decided to change my blog name/URL because the one I was using had dashes in it (the .com name without it was already taken) and start a podcast. I was only able to figure out the whole podcasting thing because of the people on this forum and all of their great tips and info. Talk about a time saver! If I had to figure things out on my own I would still be doing it.

In less than a week I signed up for the new URL, got hosting (through Jack and Hostgator), got the website up and recorded my first podcast using audacity. It feels pretty weird to be talking for so long to myself. I've taught various classes in different subjects in the past but there is always an audience to provide feedback or ask questions while your talking. Strange to just talk without any input. Hopefully I will get better as time goes on. Right now I'm in the process of editing the podcast which leads me to asking some questions.

I recorded the podcast using a Logitech headset with one of those built in microphones. It's what I had on hand and the sound comes out pretty nice. But I've noticed it picks up all those breathy sounds that you make. The ones where you inhale deeply in between talking. I'm editing them out to make the podcast sound a bit smoother. Are these sounds picked up because the mic is attached to the headset? Would having another type of microphone work better? If so can anyone recommend a decent one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm currently working on a tight budget with just one paycheck coming in these days. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Penny

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: How to get rid of breathy sounds on podcast
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
First of all you can try to place the microphone above your mouth.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

WiMary

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Wisconsin Times
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Hi Penny,
I am a new podcaster as well, coming up on my 20th episode Friday!  So I don't know if that still makes me new but I am totally self taught and could not have done it without this forum and all of the great people here.  I use a $20.00 headset from Best Buy with the mic on it and I still get the sounds from time to time.  I can't give you good advice about mic's but I can tell you that you learn to not make those sounds over time.  I know it sounds a little crazy but after hours and hours of editing out the breaths I think my brain just said, no more!  Sometimes if I have to cough or sniff or something I'll just pause my recording and then start again where I left off.  That said, I've listened to other podcasts and when I hear them take a breath it's no biggy so it doesn't hurt to leave them in too.  We're doing podcasts and I think people listening to podcasts want real stuff, not "radio" quality speaking, just my two cents, hope it helps!

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
@ Fjorgynn: thanks for the tip. I'll try moving the microphone so it's positioned a bit above my mouth instead of directly in front of it.

@ WiMary: I don't hear myself breathing through the mic. It's more like when I inhale deeply after I've spoken for a short period of time. Hopefully if I move the mic a bit as suggested I can ultimately teach myself not to inhale deeply/loudly as time goes on. I ended up leaving some of them on where it sort of falls in as a natural part of talking. Others I edited out because it sounds more like a lengthy pause before moving on to the next thought. I was really trying to focus on not saying ummmm and found that I would inhale deeply and then say "and" instead. Got rid of one problem and made another in it's place LOL. At least I got the first podcast done. It may not be the best but I did it and will hopefully be able to make improvements over time.

Congrats on your 20th episode! What's your podcast/blog URL? I've been trying to listen to various podcasts when their first started to see what they sounded like and how they made changes along the way.

Thanks again for the ideas to solve this.

Penny

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:07 AM »
I just started my own podcast (yesterday actually! :) ) and only have a single episode up. But I did a lot of testing with audio before I recorded my first episode. For me the big difference is having a minimal wind screen over the mic. Your headset mic probably didn't come with one but if you can find a small piece of foam that isn't too thick and wrap it around your mic and use a rubber band to hold it in place, you may notice a big difference in the amount of breathing sounds you hear.

If that works then you might look at buying something like this from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Headset-Microphone-Windscreen-6-pack-Securing/dp/B0042FUGBC

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
Mic selection seems to be an evolutionary process for most.  I started recording with iProRecorder on an iPhone, then around episode 50 I moved to an internal iMic on my MacBook but once I hit the 100's I moved to a Samson GO MIC.  Great little condenser mic that gives fantastic quality at a very nice price.  I highly recommend this bundle package:

http://www.buy.com/prod/samson-go-mic-clip-on-portable-usb-condenser-go-microphone-black/226205071.html

You can either clip it on your computer (I didn't prefer this method but I am able to when I'm podcasting from remote locations), set it on your desk, or attach it to a mic stand.  I picked up a mic stand off of Amazon and there are multiple styles to choose from, and attached the Pop Filter.  The mic stands can range from $10-$50.  I bought a $25 Samson SB1 mic stand for the counterbalance it offers if ever I want to upgrade to a more expensive (and likely heavier) mic.

With the -10 dB setting I get very great quality with the mic just a few inches from my mouth with the pop filter.  With the cardioid setting I can record myself during my videos from 5-8 feet away with good quality.  The next step for me is when I launch my second podcast where my wife and I will be recording.  Here I will have the option of the omnidirectional setting to record both of us.  Great multi-settings that allow this mic to be my go-to for quite some time before I upgrade.  Even then I will probably still use it.

Here is my mic evolution:

Episode 3 was with an iPhone and iPro.
Episode 3: http://thefamilypodcastnetwork.com/episode-3-building-up-your-kid

Episode 60 was with my MacBook's built in mic.
Episode 60: http://thefamilypodcastnetwork.com/episode-60_top-11-things-i-wish-i-had-known-about-parenting

This is my latest episode with the Samson GO MIC.
Episode 111: http://thefamilypodcastnetwork.com/30things

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:07:00 AM by Raptor1 »

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Yeah a professional microphone like the Heil PR40 (Leo Laporte and Cliff Ravenscraft uses it) can be great. But if you don't have the money you can also check the noise removal settings, try to podcast in your closet or something else. Actually the closet podcasting or with a blanket over your head can remove much of your background noise if you don't have a professional studio with "egg cartons" on the wall.

But breath noise is all about how close you are to the microphone.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
I just started my own podcast (yesterday actually! :) ) and only have a single episode up. But I did a lot of testing with audio before I recorded my first episode. For me the big difference is having a minimal wind screen over the mic. Your headset mic probably didn't come with one but if you can find a small piece of foam that isn't too thick and wrap it around your mic and use a rubber band to hold it in place, you may notice a big difference in the amount of breathing sounds you hear.

Thanks for the tip on the foam piece for the mic. No, mine did not come with any type of foam on the end. It's just a solid plastic piece attached to the head set.

I did test out moving the mic higher so it's not down at the lowest position where it sits right in front of my mouth. That seemed to help reduce some of the inhale/breathing sounds I was picking up.  When I'm not in poor student mode and come up with a bit of cash I think I'm going to get a mic that isn't attached to a headset. It's kind of annnoying to wear the headset just for the mic. I originally bought the headset to talk on skype on the recommendation of the sales clerk. Should have just bought a mic instead. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Penny

WiMary

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Wisconsin Times
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
@ Fjorgynn: thanks for the tip. I'll try moving the microphone so it's positioned a bit above my mouth instead of directly in front of it.

@ WiMary: I don't hear myself breathing through the mic. It's more like when I inhale deeply after I've spoken for a short period of time. Hopefully if I move the mic a bit as suggested I can ultimately teach myself not to inhale deeply/loudly as time goes on. I ended up leaving some of them on where it sort of falls in as a natural part of talking. Others I edited out because it sounds more like a lengthy pause before moving on to the next thought. I was really trying to focus on not saying ummmm and found that I would inhale deeply and then say "and" instead. Got rid of one problem and made another in it's place LOL. At least I got the first podcast done. It may not be the best but I did it and will hopefully be able to make improvements over time.

Congrats on your 20th episode! What's your podcast/blog URL? I've been trying to listen to various podcasts when their first started to see what they sounded like and how they made changes along the way.

Thanks again for the ideas to solve this.

Penny

Hi Penny,
Here is the link to my site and latest podcast http://thewisconsintimes.com/the-wisconsin-times-podcast-episode-20-june-8-2012/   Thanks for the congrats on my 20th episode, I appreciate it!
Mary

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
Here is the link to my site and latest podcast http://thewisconsintimes.com/the-wisconsin-times-podcast-episode-20-june-8-2012/   Thanks for the congrats on my 20th episode, I appreciate it!
Mary

Hi mary,

I listened to the last podcast you had up. The one about the wisconsin town nick names. Had to laugh about the chicken thing. You got me with that one. The podcast sounds good. Hopefully I can pull things together as well by the time I get around to having 20 episodes.

Penny