January 19, 2018, 11:02:42 PM

Author Topic: Bad time to start?  (Read 1183 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Bad time to start?
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »
Is this a bad time to start a online store of physical products?

I see a lot of people on here starting blogs and looking for digital products to sell, but there is little activity here on the physical side of things. Is there a reason why?

I have always wanted to have an online store and sell gun related items. I'm thinking about starting small and working my way up as capital becomes avalible. As I know that I can't instantly start a store and be sucessful.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

oley454

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: Bad time to start?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
As someone who is trying to build a hot rod business (physical product) I would say that its neither bad or good.  As with most things it depends.  I have a couple of small projects and a lot of tire kickers but not the large projects that I need in order to quit the "day job".  I would say your start small and sell the gear you're familiar with.  Then work your way up.  I know I gladly pay higher prices if the customer service and product knowledge is better than a competitor. 
Do something even if it's wrong

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
I don't think it is ever a bad time to have an online store of physical products that people really want!

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
It's not a good time or bad time - you just need to make sure you are clear on what you are doing and why people will buy from you. 

If the physical product you are selling is a commodity - they can buy it on Amazon with free shipping, easy return policy, and no risk.  You are going to have a hard time competing with that.  If you are selling custom made to order rfile stocks - then it's a different ball game.

Many people prefer digital to physical goods because it eliminates many  issues like inventory, shipping, returns, insuring against loss in the mail, etc.  Also, the incremental profit potential on digital goods are much higher.  Once I create my eBook, it doesn't cost me any more to sell 1000 copies than to sell one.  for physical product, every time I build one I have supply costs.

Even if you are decided on a physical product, blogging still makes a lot of sense.  Blogging about your topic allows you to build credibility in your area, and attract visitors who can then see your physical products for sale.
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/