January 18, 2018, 03:17:17 PM

Author Topic: what do you use for mobile blogging?  (Read 2663 times)

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
what do you use for mobile blogging?
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
Hey everybody,
Not exactly sure I put this in the correct place, so mods, if there is a better fit, please feel free to move it.

Anyways, I do a large part of my article writing on my phone, with my thumbs, then I upload to Wordpress, make any spelling/grammar corrections, add pictures, and post the article from my desktop at home.

I do a lot of work on my lunch break at my job, as my time is limited at home. Does anybody use a tablet, or reader for article writing? I know I should buy a netbook or something, but I just don't have the money right now. Has anyone used a blutooth keyboard paired with their phone?

Thanks!

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: what do you use for mobile blogging?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:18 PM »
Have you tried Evernote?

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:32:58 PM »
I have not. I use the Wordpress Android app now, and its fine, I guess I should have been a little more clear, in that im looking for a hardware solution, just something to keep me from having to type with my thumbs.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My thumbs hurt lol. I do about half from my phone depending on time. I wish the app had a few more features, but I would love a better way to do this. Can't use computers from work, their firewall blocks my gun site. I get tired of thumb typing all the time.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
I have a touchpad with a fullsize wireless keyboard, or I can simply type on the screen.   You can't get touchpads anymore, and their spell check is horrible.  However there are other tablets which may work.

toptec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Experience Homesteading
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
There are wireless bluetooth keyboards for ipads you could see if they would pair with your phone.
www.experiencehomesteading.com  A self-sufficient lifestyle journey

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
I picked up a cheap Laptop from HHGregg. It works well for me. All my pics come from my Iphone. I upload them with the Wordpress app, then format on my laptop. 

In a pinch I can blog from my phone, but I don't prefer to.. Also, I want an IPad REALLY bad....
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
You can get a wireless adapter from your cell phone store that you plug into a laptop to get on the internet.  This will allow you to circumvent the firewall fascists at your employer.  Writing a post on a phone/tablet is insane IMO.

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »
There is also a wordpress app for the iphone, im sure it's for others as well, but it will get you directly on your site to write a post and will show up as a draft there. You can also check comments and other things with it.

I agree thou, I doubt I will ever write a post on my phone, but can do editing or approve and check comments, basic things that are quick on it. If it's all you have now then go with it, content is content no matter how it gets there.

gimwee

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
I use an iPhone 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.  :)

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
Software - I use the Wordpress app on my iPhone - but had the same issue you have.  Blogging anything of any length on a pretend keyboard is hard. 

Hardware - I bought a relatively cheap bluetooth keyboard and hated it (it was a mini keyboard and it was too small to help me at all).  I gave it away and kept looking. 

There were some very expensive keyboards I looked at, but in the end the one I bought (and have used since March) only cost $20, uses regular AAA batteries (I use rechargeable NiCds) and is small / light enough that it fits easily in my briefcase without any issues, but is large enough I can still touchtype on it.  It paired quickly and easily with my iPhone and made blogging (and other note taking) workable on my phone.

Realistically, I'd suggest you plan a netbook, laptop or tablet if you are going to be doing a lot of mobile blogging, but those aren't cheap.  If you are already working it on your phone and just need a keyboard, I'd suggest trying the one I got.  If you do get it, please make sure to let me know how it works for you.

Here's a link to it on Amazon (no commission to me - just a straight link):  http://amzn.com/B005ONMDYE

Hope this helps you.

Jesse
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:49:39 PM by Jesse2004 »
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

Kiwimana

• Student
  • Its the kiwimana Buzz....
    • View Profile
    • kiwimana
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:35:11 PM »
I use a app on the ipad called Byword, you can use markup language.  So you can add heading, bold text etc and then export as HTML directly into wordpress.

It also saves to Dropbox, I find it pretty useful if you have an iPad.

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
I use the WordPress app for Android on my Nook Color although I've never used it to create a post. I do use it to check on my stats and approve the occasional comment. I really want to try a Bluetooth keyboard for it because then I could post from it anywhere I had WiFi. I agree that the onscreen keyboards are just too small unless you have something the size of an iPad.

Maybe the new larger Kindle Fire HD! (I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those)