October 30, 2014, 09:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Episode-119- Eight Forms of Capital Part 8 of 8 – Experiential (or Human) Capita  (Read 1319 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The podcast for this post is at http://bit.ly/LG70YM

Today we continue an 8 part series on applying permaculture principals to your business based on the article 8 Forms of Capital by Appleseed Permaculture.

In part eight we discuss the concept of Experiential Capital, from the article…

We accumulate experiential capital through actually organizing a project in our community, or building a strawbale house, or completing a permaculture design. The most effective way to learn anything comes through a blended gathering of intellectual and experiential capital.

My personal experience getting a Master’s degree at Gaia University showed me that experiential learning is essential for my effective functioning in the world: I was able to do projects instead of take classes, and I’m now collaboratively organizing the local permaculture guild and co-running a successful permaculture design firm.

I can see that ‘Human Capital’ is a combination of social, intellectual and experiential capital, all facets of a person that can be gathered and carried in essentially limitless amounts. But there’s one more form of capital that a person can gather and carry inside themselves.

In our businesses we can look at experiential capital in a variety of ways,

1.  The experience of the ownership
2.  The experience of the employees/partners/contractors
3.  The experience of the customer base
4.  The experience of the industry

Join me today as we take these concepts and examine them at a deeper level.