January 21, 2018, 08:01:22 PM

Author Topic: I like my feedback vicious!  (Read 2372 times)

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
I like my feedback vicious!
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
Hellllooooo everyone!  I have just returned from my awesome vacation and ready to get to work on building the blog that I've been wanting to get started for some time now.  Aside from loosing my digital camera with most of my amazing pics on it, I got more than I bargained for from the vacation I am writing about.  My goal will be to post 3 X per week and hopefully have enough content to hold me off until my next vacation (where I hopefully won't loose my camera).  No need to be gentle on any feedback you feel like providing.  I've only got two posts in so far, but I want to run it buy you guys (the coolest guys ever!) before sending it out to anyone else.  Hoping to have 5-10 posts in before I even plant it on my own Facebook page. 

Oh, and if anyone knows how to remove or move the theme credit in the footer (either through headway or wordpress) that would be a great help! 

www.thisgringotravels.com

Thanks for any feedback!

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
Re: I like my feedback vicious!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
Update:  I've gotten the blog pretty much where I want it and I've added some basic content and am about to start adding better content.   I did figure out how to remove the attribution for the footer and am truly ready for anyone interested in critiquing.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated! 

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
The theme looks really good.  The name though put me off a bit... isn't gringo a sort of racist word?  Or offensive anyway?  I dunno, maybe it is normal to use in Spanish speaking countries.  I haven't traveled much.

I think once you get a new camera the site will be better with photos.  I think most people on a travel site would like pictures.

I think your idea has good potential and also could make you some money with advertisers who are travel agents and stuff like that.  Good luck!

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Racist kinda depends on where you are.  In Mexico it can be used that way but it's really not.  It's really not that out of place elsewhere.  Costa Rican's are called Ticos (Tica for females) and Nicaraguan's are called Nicos or Nicas.  Maybe you'll get to visit sometime!  Beyond that, I fully understand that some will see it that way and I enjoy pushing the edge. 

All pics are not lost, but I haven't used any yet except for the header image (taken in Dominican Republic).  The best pictures were lost though :( 

Thanks again for the feedback!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
I like the idea of traveling through Latin America. You've got my curiosity piqued!

1) Your Hola page. I think I would lose the center justified page. It's hard to read.
2) You mentioned Santo Domingo. I think if you are going to mention a city that isn't well known, I would add the country it was located in to help put it into context.
3) I was curious about you. Do you speak Spanish? Why did you decide to choose this part of the world?
4) Share a personal tip. Like in Santo Domingo, if I wanted to avoid the street with all the touts, is there a better street? Or what's the name of that restaurant?
5) Yeah, agree with r00tbeer that more pics would be great!

I've met many people who have traveled through this area, so I think you can do very well with this site.

Best wishes to you,
Mil

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »
Thanks so much for the feedback.  I will definitely consider your opinions on 1 & 3 there and as for the rest, I totally agree and am working to build into it.  As far as sharing the tips, I will certainly do that more as I go on to include reviews and such, I just only have so much material from my vacation to work with and I'm hoping to spread it out until my next trip. 

I'll be adding as many pictures as I can.  Three in the one I just posted.   

Thanks again for the feedback.  It's truly appreciated!

Oh, and if you truly were curious, I speak pretty much NO Spanish at all.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
Oh, and if you truly were curious, I speak pretty much NO Spanish at all.

Good to know. I've had friends (they're older) who were terrified about going to a country where many folks don't speak English.  I think lots of people would take that into consideration when planning a trip. Personally, I like going to a place where I can give my brain a rest from all the constant (English) inputs! ;D ;D ;D

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
The funny thing about that is that DR was selected to be my first stop because an old roommate of mine that was from there was going to meet me there.  Schedules got all mixed up and we couldn't meet up, but he assured me that almost everyone there spoke English. 

The joke was on me when I got to places later on that didn't have menus printed in both languages.

But that is a great point and I totally meant to include that in my postings before I went and completely forgot about it.  I will amend a few posts and make sure to include "comfort for non-spanish speakers" in the future! 

And I completely agree with you about the English inputs  :-X

Thanks!

TechPreps

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Tech Preps Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 01:43:35 PM »
I like the typography and clean looks to your site. My suggestions are mostly inline with what others have said:

1. Pics or it didn't happen! :)

2. I would change the home page to be a "posts" page and not a static page. If you want your current "Hola!" page to always be there as an introduction, make it a "sticky" post so it's always at the top. At first glance it appears that you only have one post and many visitors won't give you more than a quick glance before moving on. Another option may be to add some links in your introduction text (and pictures! needs pictures!)

3. The links you have to the various countries like "Costa Rica" and "Dominican Republic" I would make into "category result" pages (and I would create country categories that match) and in your WordPress settings have it display "excerpts" on category pages instead of full posts. As they are, those country pages are just very sparse.

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
I truly appreciate the feedback.

1) The loss of my camera was really a heart breaker and I'm trying to make do with what I can with the photos I have.  Had I not set the site up before I went, I probably would have given up on the idea after loosing the camera.  I am hoping to make this a long term project and will not put off downloading the pics next time.  Failed to be prepared there and kicking my own but for it.  It's going to be hit and miss until my next trip with the pictures I got on my phone.  I'm also holding off on some of the better content and photos until I get other bugs including problem number 2 taken care of. 

2)  Another thing I'm kind of kicking myself in the butt for now and having trouble fixing it without messing up the whole thing.  Making the landing page the post page is a work in progress, one which I might be coming to the forum for help with if I can't figure it out in the next few days.  The Hola page was more me messing with stuff and learning the system and now I am having a hard time changing it.  But replying to you has given me a couple other ideas to try.  Extra Thanks for that!

3)  I would agree with you on this one right now, but I've done this one this way so that I'm not kicking myself in the butt later as I get more countries and more content.  After problem number 2 was recognized I took a good look at the rest of the site structure and I changed it to this way in hopes that I won't have to go back through and fix it later.

So mostly I agree with you and I really appreciate the feedback!

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:39 AM »
I want to thank all of you again for your wonderful feedback.  I have implemented many of the changes you guys suggested and have added a great deal of content as well (yes, even some pictures).  It took some time but I managed to fix a lot of stuff I was having trouble with.  I finally realized that there were things I had changed before adding an adjustable theme and that I needed to adjust them in the theme instead.  I felt a little silly, but it's all better now.  I'm really at the point where I feel like I'm ready to start pushing SEO more and start pushing the blog.  Would anyone be kind enough to take another peek and let me know if they see anything?

-warning- I have added some content that may not be as PC as some would like.  If you are easily offended please do not review.  There's nothing "adult" in nature but there are some truths that some may not like to hear about. 

Thanks!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
Yes!!! I like the pics. I found the apps for travelers post very useful, even if I will be going to Europe. Good article and tips about the buses in CR. I felt after reading that article, I would know what to expect. Great tips in that one. Looking good!!!!!

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »
Well, it's been almost a year and I'm happy to say that I think I'm finally happy with the site.  Lots of learning, testing, breaking, forgetting, and re-learning.  Also some step ups to some premium products and support groups. 

I still only have like 3 regular readers, but I'm finally happy with it and more comfortable sharing it with the world.  If anyone would care to take a once over, it would be greatly appreciated.  You guys rock!!!