January 18, 2018, 03:37:55 PM

Author Topic: Flip that spouse  (Read 1093 times)

ag2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Flip that spouse
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »
I believe that behind every successful man/woman is a supporting spouse, or they are single.  I find it difficult to be successful at something when my wife is not on board and supportive.  I've had many ideas over the years, but have chosen not to pursue them when my wife has not supported them.  I finally have an idea that she half-heartedly supports, so I jumped at the chance and ran with it.  But there are times when she's not supportive and doesn't see the potential.

For instance, I said that I was going to build and ship a doubledesk to my best friend.  He has three kids who are young enough that they would love it.  And, my friend is a very popular guy, so his friends may also see and like it and ask about it, etc.  When I mentioned this to my wife, she said that the $40-$50 in shipping would not be money well spent.  It's frustrating when she doesn't see the potential.  This is just one example of many that she doesn't see the potential.  (http://doubledesk.net if you are curious)

How do you guys/gals help get your spouses on board?  I know that Jack did a TSP episode on getting your spouse on board the preparedness boat a year or two ago, but I think starting a business requires a completely different approach.

Personally, I think the answer for everyone may be different for everybody.
Is your business intended to augment your current income?
Is your business intended to replace your income?
Brick and mortar or virtual?
Will it be a business, or will it be a hobby?

In my case, my business will augment my current job.  And I try to do most of my work after the family has gone to bed.  I won't be able to quit my job unless something very big happens.

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion because I'm sure that several others in this group feel the same way.

Chris Conway

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Suburban Family
    • Email
Re: Flip that spouse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Hello, ag2

It took awhile before my wife was fully on board with what I want to do. Not that she was against it, I think she just had a hard time justifying some of the money I was spending and honestly, it just didn't interest her.

In our situation, my wife found out a couple years ago she had MS. She wasn't able to finish her nursing degree(she only had one class left). For the last two years she's been hopeful she would be able to work or finish her degree but she isn't. The fatigue and physical problems are horrible.

I started thinking last fall that if she could get into this with me it would give her something to look forward to and by doing it together we could get more done in a shorter amount of time. I decided to look for areas in our life where we shared a common interest. I paid attention to what we were doing every day and asked her questions about what she was interested in. I showed her other people like the ones here that were making money with their websites. She also started to recognize that the websites she visited a lot were doing the same thing. I kept talking to her about it and all the opportunities it would give us. I didn't expect her to get interested in it right away. It took a few months. Eventually she started to understand why I was so excited about it and she started to become excited about doing it too.  I think it gave her hope that we might actually be able to make a living doing this.

I set up a website and we started blogging. I made one post and she made the rest. I just removed my post last week and she's changing the name. It's now her site. It took a long time. I think she just needed to understand what i was doing and needed to be personally invested in something she cared about.

As to your other questions, my site is intended to be a business and it will completely replace and surpass my income, which shouldn't be hard since I don't make much.  :)
SustainableSuburbanFamily.com