January 21, 2018, 02:20:41 AM

Author Topic: I want to learn Graphic Design  (Read 2307 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
I want to learn Graphic Design
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »
Can you guys point me in the right direction to learn graphic design?

I'm sure I could go out and spend several k at a college, but I'm sure there is an easier and cheaper way to go about it.

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
Re: I want to learn Graphic Design
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
Why on earth would you want to go out and learn graphic design?

It is one area of web development that is easiest to subcontract out to some 3rd world country where people make $6 per hour.

Romania, Singapore, Philippines, etc.

It is the single hardest area of the web to compete in. 

You can buy professional themes, logos, etc cheaper than your time is worth.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »
If you want a professional design I recommend that you use 99designs or a similar website/service.

If you really want to learn something I recommend "learn by doing", which means that you buy Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks from Adobe and find tutorials on YouTube or via Google/Yahoo/Altavista.

Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus are free software that you can download if you don't have $3,000 to spend on software.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

Chris Conway

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Suburban Family
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
There's also designcrowd.com.
SustainableSuburbanFamily.com

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
While graphic design might be cheap, some of us just starting out might not have much to spend on graphics.

If you want to learn it which isn't bad thing anyway, just research it online there are lots of tutorials and tips for many programs.

Some programs like gimp are decent graphics programs, but investing in a program like photoshop is a lot better. Even if you do not do all the graphics yourself, being able to post process images for your site is great in it's self.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:29 PM »
I use Gimp for basic photo, graphic editing. It was originally created for web use. 

That said, I'll occasionally do something myself, but I prefer to let someone else more talented do the work, great time saver.   

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
GIMP is great. And you can find tons of tutorials on YouTube.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
According to the price on those sites I will be downloading Gimp and learning how to use it so I can make logos and sell them. That's a crazy price for a logo. I could make a ton of money on logo design at their prices.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
According to the price on those sites I will be downloading Gimp and learning how to use it so I can make logos and sell them. That's a crazy price for a logo. I could make a ton of money on logo design at their prices.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

You started this thread on "how to learn graphic design". 

Now I find out you not only want to do it for your own stuff but you actually think you're going to sell your logo designs?  Come on... are you serious?

You have no clue.

You're chasing the wrong business. This is an employee mentality. Not a business owner mentality.

I sell a lot of logo designs and web site designs. Yet I don't actually do the work myself. AND I'm someone with an art background! I studied art in high school and then again majored in art in College.  I don't even do it even though I could.

Why don't I do art myself since I have a background in it?

I can outsource it cheaper to someone that can do a better job.

I know you don't agree with me because you think you can just download free software and make a lot of money selling logos... But if it was so easy, wouldn't everyone be downloading free software and making logos? ;)  That is exactly why this is not a business I'd recommend to anyone.  If everyone can download free software and compete with you then you're going to have a lot of competition in the marketplace!
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
Gimp, Inkscape etc are great open source tools for graphic design.

There is more to graphic design than learning to use the software.  You also have to learn to market, bill, etc.  And you will likely need to edit your graphics a few times to get what your client needs.  And you would need to learn how to do vector graphics depending on your clients.   If you want the better paying clients, their logos, etc will need scalable graphics so they can use them online and off.  Doing a logo for a website and a large physical sign are not the same.

I've not meet a successful graphic artist business which did not use adobe creative suite.

A son's friend did well for several years, focusing on local businesses, which included graphics for billboards, vehicles, etc.  He started out by cold calling all the local businesses, after a year of hard work (and he already knew graphic design and marketing) it started to pay off.  A few years later he and his partner were doing very well, but working 60-80+ hr work weeks, getting burnt out.  They did great work.  They backed up their data at least 2 ways, when a tropical storm was coming through his backup hard drives where sent to another town out of the path.  (Today I imagine he'd use cloud servers).  I searched to see if he was still in business and can't find his company.

Talk to several graphic artists, find out what it is they did to get to where they are at, what they had to learn, etc. 

Do listen to Ben's advice too.  It would not be an easy road.  Main issue is you are limited in what you can earn by how many hours you can work.  If your work was in great demand, yes, you could earn more, but you can't work 10 times as many hours to earn 10 times as much money as you only have 24 hours in a day.  And if you were to retire, take a vacation, etc. you would have no income when not working.

Which is the main reason why I only do some wordpress work for clients, pays me some money now, but if that was all I did, I'd never be free, and my $ would be limited by hours in a day.   I have another friend who cuts hair, as she got older and arthritis in her fingers she had to sell her shop, but it also cut out her income.   

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
As someone who took a bunch of web design classes, take it from me, it is NOT easy to be a designer.  I was constantly amazed (and outclassed) by the passionate and longtime designers around me.

Logos, good logos, convey messages and connotations with colors, shapes, inference, etc.  I'm the first to admit that I still wouldn't know where to start.

Just my two pennies...