January 17, 2018, 09:47:51 PM

Author Topic: Basic Search Engine Optimization for bloggers  (Read 3221 times)

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Basic Search Engine Optimization for bloggers
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
The most basic when you're building a web site and want to market it is to optimize it for search engines like Google. If you're using Wordpress you can find lots of free plugins that's going to make the search engine optimization very easy.

First you should install All in One SEO Pack which optimizes your Wordpress installation and adds meta tags like description and keywords for your blog.

I also recommend that you install Google XML Sitemaps that will create a sitemap for your web site so the search engines can index your web site more easy. You should add your sitemap.xml-file to Google Webmaster Tools, a tool where you can monitor searches, your position for a specific search term and Click Through Rate (CTR).

Pictures aren't just for making your blog post more attractive for your visitors. It's also an effective way to optimize your website for Google. The alt attribute that makes it easier for people who are using a “screen reader” to understand that you have a picture and what's it about. It will also be show if the picture can't be viewed because of web browser settings or if the picture is missing. Because the Google's indexing robot, GoogleBot, isn't graphical it reads the “alt tag” instead and that's why you should add a relevant keyword there.

A powerful headline with relevant keywords are also good to use. Why do you think newspapers are using specific words in their headlines? Because they want you to buy the newspaper. Also keywords are great if you want to rank better for some search terms.

Backlinks are very important. If other bloggers recommends you and adds your to their bloggroll more people will find you, but you'll also get som link power. You can also join blog directories. If you have natural and relevant backlinks all search engines will view you as an authority on that subject and get a better ranking.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:41:22 AM by Fjorgynn »
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
Re: Basic Search Engine Optimization for bloggers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
I had been going this route for a while myself, but today I watched a recorded webinar that was supposed to be specific to my theme and turned out to be much more.   I had heard from everyone that All-in-one SEO was the way to go, but this person recommended Yoast if you weren't going to use the one built in to the theme.  After the host went over some of the tools it had I stopped the video and immediately replaced All-in-one with Yoast.  While All-in-one may be just as good for the more experienced person, yoast is definitely right for me. 

Yoast SEO incorporates the site map automatically and sends it to Google and others automatically instead of waiting for the crawlers to look for it.  I'm not sure how great this is, but it keeps me from needing to manage two plugins. 

Most importantly though, it gives me a review on the spot of things I can change to improve my SEO.  Some of them are simple and some just can't be done with every post, but it keeps me from forgetting to do the simple things like adding the alt attribution like you mention.  If I forget to do that a big read dot appears and I can read what the problem is and go through and fix it before I post. 

I'll include a screen shot of what I'm talking about there, but basically Yoast analyzes what I've got and tells me a list of small changes that I can make and is either teaching me new aspects or reminding me of the stuff I know but might have missed. 

Hope this helps the other newbies.  And I think it showed up as Wordpress SEO by Yoast or something along those lines when I typed in Yoast SEP in the new plugin field.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
I saw that the Yoast SEO plug in had an excellent rating and had been curious about it. Is that recorded webinar available to everyone or was it just for paid participants?

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
That webinar was a paid subscription deal, but it wasn't directed as SEO really.  Unless you're using Headway as your theme it wouldn't be worth watching.  That was just the first time I'd heard anyone really sing the Yoast praises and show it off a bit.  But Yoast is free, give it a try if you're curious. 

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
Yoast's plugin is far superior to All in One SEO... it's just that All in One SEO came out first so more people were aware of it... and some people are slow to switch.

Yoast's plugin can import your settings from other plugins like All in One SEO.

My favorite aspect of Yoast is it replaces a bunch of plugins. I no longer need a sitemap plugin or breadcrumbs or rss footer plugin for example. I like to replace 4 plugins with 1 ;)

Watch this Yoast free webinar here and find out why you should listen to Yoast. He knows what he is talking about.
http://yoast.com/wordpress-seo-webinar-seo-braintrust/
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
It appears as though the webinar has been removed from that page  :(

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
You didn't look hard enough.

There is a link to the text transcription and slides from the webinar...

For you lazy people here is that link:
http://seobraintrust.com/wordpress-seo-with-joost-de-valk-2/
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
I did see and save that.  It just appeared as though there had been a ling to the actual webinar at one point.  I will look into it more later. 

Thanks.

Lazy

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
Good. Downloading the mp3 now. Thanks.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
I've been very happy with SEO by Yoast, takes a little longer to set up, but then it does so much more. Updated this week to add new features:  http://yoast.com/wordpress-seo-1-2/   

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
All in One SEO does have a Pro version which does more, so if someone wants to stick with All in One you may want to check it out.  I didn't know/remember there was a pro version until I got an invite to join their affiliate program today.   

I'm not against premium (pay) themes and plugins, I've bought some. 

However, I am a Yoast fan, and many who visit my wordpress site are on a shoestring budget.  It'd have to  offer more than Yoast's for me to recommend it.