January 21, 2018, 02:32:34 AM

Author Topic: Email vs Facebook  (Read 1328 times)

Serenity Gulch

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
Email vs Facebook
« on: May 17, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »
I'm just starting out so don't laugh too hard at my numbers. Right now I have 51 Likes for my Facebook page but only 4 subscribers to my email list. My email subscribe button is at the top of the sidebar and has a different background to make it stand out.

Right now I have Networked Blogs set up so whenever I make a post on my blog it automatically posts it to Facebook. My email list sends out a daily summary of blog posts (using Mailchimp). My intention for the email list is that once I have my online store stocked the list will also provide notifications for new items and shop specials. However it seems like I'm going to be missing a lot of potential customers if I only put this info on the email list and not also on Facebook.

I took a little informal survey of people who are likes on Facebook but not email subscribers, the consensus is that the email notifications are a needless duplication of info and just clogging up their inbox. They prefer the convenience of just seeing everything on Facebook.

Now I'm wondering what's the point of having an email list? Should I offer something like a free ebook with subscription to try to entice more of my FB fans to join the list? Should I not bother with the list and just post everything on FB?
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take my broccoli!
www.SerenityGulchFarm.com

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Email vs Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:55 AM »
You have four subscribers! That's awesome!
So what are you using your email-subscription for? Don't spam your subscribers with "By my stuff". Also, I know people who don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other social media, so you must offer something for them aswell.

By the way read
http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/email-list-strategy/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:23:07 AM by Fjorgynn »
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
Re: Email vs Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
I would rather OWN my list.

The problem with Facebook everything is Facebook owns it.  If you use facebook for registration, comments, etc then Facebook owns all that content, not you.  Facebook can deactivate your page. There have been a couple instances lately of businesses with 10,000 and 20,000 fans losing their fanpage.  Or Facebook could become myspace and fall by the wayside when something newer or better comes around.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards