maverick

• Student
  • Shawn @ Managing The Money Wars
    • View Profile
    • Managing The Money Wars
    • Email
Tags
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
Does having the "Tags" widget displayed on the front page help my SEO enough for the space it takes up (I have the tags at the bottom of the posts as well)?  I'm trying to clean up my site and do away with excess junk on the home page.  I'm also having trouble getting traffic so I don't want to take off anything that can help with that.

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Tags
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
Yes. Tags makes it easy to sort posts and for your readers to find them.

ps. Install All in One SEO pack.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

maverick

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
I have SEO now, if I change to "All in one SEO" will I have to redo all of the old posts?  Also, what is it about the all in one SEO that makes it better than SEO smart links?  I just need to know what I getting into.  Thanks for the help!

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
You must configure Yoast SEO or All in one SEO in the settings menu. You should have meta description and keywords, which you don't have now. Read their README and FAQ on the link I posted earlier.

Look at this picture
http://www.ladda-upp.com/bilder/69156/all-in-one-seo

Also install Google Sitemap XML so you get a /sitemap.xml file on your page so Google can index your site better.

Links to some Wordpress plugins.
http://theroadto100k.com/index.php?topic=854.0
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:35:34 AM by Fjorgynn »
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

maverick

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:04:54 AM »
I tried to use "All in one SEO" and it causes problems with my server.  After I install it, I can not install or delete any other plugins because of a memory problem.  I'm not sure yet if I am going to try to code the memory increase or not because I have read where some people have had issues after changing it.

I am want to install the Google xml site map plugin but when I search for it, I get multiple results.  Is there a better version than another or a complete version?  Thanks!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Who are you using for your server?  I've never seen any problems like that for Yoast's wordpress seo plugin. 
I didn't see memory being a problem with those plugins. However, I did run into memory issues when I added a different plugin and the host increase the amount of memory allowed and no more issues.  It was giving me a blank white screen.

maverick

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »
I use Hostgo.  I also tried the google xml and it caused problems as well.  I'm going to have to research this more.  Google xml site map did not cause the same problems as before but gave me the blank white screen when I tried to view all post.  As soon as I deactivated it, everything was back to normal.  I have many other plugins so maybe it is an issue with one of those but I'm not sure.

My first step is going to be to "clean house" with my plugins.  I went a little plugin crazy when we first started.

Thanks!