January 18, 2018, 03:14:39 PM

Author Topic: HELP! I scheduled an interview, and I've only ever done one podcast!  (Read 1658 times)

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
So, I did my first podcast today on my site. Its pretty amateur, but I'm proud of it. I was contacted by a local firearms trainer, and I'm getting an exclusive interview about the new route his company will be taking, etc, which should drive a LOT of traffic to my site.

Maybe I'm being a little ambitious, but we scheduled the interview for Wednesday. We did a test run through skype tonight, using Pamela to record per Jacks recommendation. The audio sounds really, really good for the level of equipment we are using.

He sent me some questions that he would like me to ask him, and I'm coming up with a few more myself. I'm super excited, and nervous!

Any tips, tricks, ways to ask questions, things not to do? I've listened to all of the episodes of 5MWJ, regarding interviews, etc.

Thanks guys!

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Get your questions written soon and send them to the interviewee so he isn't blindsided.

Drink water.

Breathe.

Have fun.

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
Wow triangle.  Nice work and congrats on the interview! 

Here are a few I recommend:

1.) You've done my first recommendation by doing a sound check.  I recommend you record again right before you officially start the interview (kids jacked with settings in between recordings once).  Listen to it to make sure you are both mixed appropriately.  I also recommend doing a modem/router reset to clear any phantom code that could crap-up your connection.  Try to eliminate streaming, DL's etc. 

2.) Have something to drink handy for coughs etc and encourage guest to do the same.  Depending on your personality you might want to silence phone and encourage guest to silence theirs.

3.) Give guest some transition time to chat before starting recording.  This can help them ease into conversational tone and be less nervous. 

4.) Remind guest that just about anything can be edited if they totally drop the ball.  I also encourage them to keep it conversational and to have some fun (tell jokes, stories etc) so long as it is on topic and appropriate for my audience.  Be loose and relaxed yourself.  It helps them feel comfortable and adds a professionalism to the recording.

5.) CHECK TIMES FOR TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES!  Yeah...jacked this one up once.....

6.) I recommend a headset to eliminate feedback and echo. 

7.) If they run a blog or website, ask them to post a thread about the interview with the link.  Helps them by linking to their interview and giving them a verbal ePresence but also gives you some link-juice.

8.) Relax and have some fun!  This is your area.  And besides, if you totally derp something up you can always edit it out!

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
Wow triangle.  Nice work and congrats on the interview! 

Here are a few I recommend:

1.) You've done my first recommendation by doing a sound check.  I recommend you record again right before you officially start the interview (kids jacked with settings in between recordings once).  Listen to it to make sure you are both mixed appropriately.  I also recommend doing a modem/router reset to clear any phantom code that could crap-up your connection.  Try to eliminate streaming, DL's etc. 

2.) Have something to drink handy for coughs etc and encourage guest to do the same.  Depending on your personality you might want to silence phone and encourage guest to silence theirs.

3.) Give guest some transition time to chat before starting recording.  This can help them ease into conversational tone and be less nervous. 

4.) Remind guest that just about anything can be edited if they totally drop the ball.  I also encourage them to keep it conversational and to have some fun (tell jokes, stories etc) so long as it is on topic and appropriate for my audience.  Be loose and relaxed yourself.  It helps them feel comfortable and adds a professionalism to the recording.

5.) CHECK TIMES FOR TIME ZONE DIFFERENCES!  Yeah...jacked this one up once.....

6.) I recommend a headset to eliminate feedback and echo. 

7.) If they run a blog or website, ask them to post a thread about the interview with the link.  Helps them by linking to their interview and giving them a verbal ePresence but also gives you some link-juice.

8.) Relax and have some fun!  This is your area.  And besides, if you totally derp something up you can always edit it out!

Very helpful, thank you.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
Great tips so far... A few I can learn from.

I don't need a full headset to eliminate echo, just headphones so your speakers audio doesn't cause echo/feedback.

If you're doing video definitely warn them. Twice I've had interviews that didn't warn me they wanted to do video interviews. They just "assumed" because it was Skype I'd want to do video.  I'm a work from home guy. Half the time I'm unshaven and not presentable. LOL.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
Interview is in the books. Thanks for the help guys, I'll post a link here when I get it edited and uploaded.

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
Its live.

http://www.triangletactical.net/2012/05/16/triangle-tactical-podcast-ep2-john-boyette-interview/

I'm pretty impressed with the audio quality using skype, and an $8 microphone.

Lay it on me guys, what did I do wrong, and what did I do right?