January 21, 2018, 08:54:46 AM

Author Topic: Wondering what everyone thinks of this strategy  (Read 1405 times)

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Wondering what everyone thinks of this strategy
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »
Hey everyone!
Here is a little background on what I am thinking.

As a VW mechanic I of course have a love for cars. For the past few years I have been looking for a "fixer-upper" car to restore and basically have fun with.

As the blog rolled on, I thought I could wrap the 2 things together. Wouldn't ya know, I finally found a car. It needs a LOT of love, but she is a great canvas for a project.

Basically everything that I do will have a video showing what I am doing, and how I am doing it. Showing the things that work really well, and some that don't work at all. My first project is the interior.

I have been contacting every company that sells products used for restoring/ modding cars to see if they would help "sponsor" the build by providing products. The products will also have a video review. So far, I have a detail kit on the way, at no charge. Even if I can score a discount i am happy. It is something I would buy anyway.

I feel like I now have an unlimited source of content. The car is 25 years old, so i can show what happens when cars are both properly and improperly maintained.  Parts of the car are flawless, others not so much. Like I said, a content generator.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on how I can take this to the next level? I am totally open to all ideas. Here is what I am working with.

I hope you are all out there CRUSHING IT!!!!
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Wondering what everyone thinks of this strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
I like it, and I think it will hook people into coming back so they can follow the story.  And new people can go back to older episodes so catch up. 

Sponsors can show off products, good deal for them too.  Few products as you restore the car helps with cost.  Cool car when you are through.

What do you plan to do with the car once it is finished? 

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
I was just reading this autobiography of famous chef.  He told a story about assembling his first car with his dad. They had to pick up the pieces in boxes, and it took them two years.

I actually think it would be a great story, even if I'm not a car lover. Especially if you talked about the problems and how you solved them and your frustrations and what you learned.

It was interesting, this chef got cancer of the tongue (yeah, how ironic!) and he says that the discipline of putting together that car was one of the lessons that helped him get through his cancer.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »
@Heidi,
Thanks I am pretty excited. I got my first shipment of cleaning products to review today. My plan is to keep the car, and make it a weekend ride. I am trying hard to get my wife involved. That might have backfired on me. Now she wants to have a green Golf, similar year, of her own. I got exactly what I wanted... :)

@Mil,
That's awesome, well all but the tongue cancer. I will be documenting everything, good, bad, crazy, lame, and so on. I hope it will empower people to at least understand their car. I will be doing most of the work at my house, in my cramped garage, with out all the high quality tools that I have at work. I have less tools at home then most people do. Strange right?
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
@Mil,
That's awesome, well all but the tongue cancer. I will be documenting everything, good, bad, crazy, lame, and so on. I hope it will empower people to at least understand their car. I will be doing most of the work at my house, in my cramped garage, with out all the high quality tools that I have at work. I have less tools at home then most people do. Strange right?

No, not so strange actually! I had better tools at the restaurant like one of those slicers, and a nice big refrigerator walk in.

I will look and see if you started this project. Even though I don't know much about cars, I think I can learn along with you with your project.