January 19, 2018, 10:52:57 PM

Author Topic: How fast should your audience be growing?  (Read 3508 times)

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Helping people in the Mid-Atlantic region realize their gardening potential
    • Email
How fast should your audience be growing?
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
I've only been blogging for a month or so but I've followed Jack's recommendations about posting 5 days a week. I've installed SEO by Yoast, Google Analytics and SmartLinks. My audience isn't really growing and I want to know what I should expect as far as growth. My topic is gardening (www.midatlanticgardening.com) and I realize that most people aren't really into it at this time of year. My awesome husband keeps encouraging me but at times I feel really frustrated.

Please share your experiences with traffic and how long it took you to get to certain mileposts (100 readers/day; 500 readers/day; 1000 readers/day, etc). I'm super geeked about learning all of this...I just want to be realistic in my expectations.

Thanks!
http://midatlanticgardening.com

Change is not necessary - survival is not mandatory.
W. Edwards Deming

Scott

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Spinning Wheels
    • Email
Re: How fast should your audience be growing?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
it sounds like you have a good start on tracking your traffic. what steps have you taken to drive traffic to the site?

I build spinning wheels and I buy banner ads from a Knitting community forum ravelry.com which gets pretty good traffic
the ravelry.com site also has a forum so when I had no budget, I would go there and post my pictures and comments, this helped out too. It was an inexpensive way to get people to check out my products.
Also I have an etsy store which gets huge "foot traffic" from people just browsing around.

Handmade Spinning Wheels
www.overlandhandcraft.com

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
I can't say that I've done a ton to drive traffic to the website. I had some bumper stickers made up for our personal vehicles and I have a FB page for Mid-Atlantic Gardening. I joined the gardenweb forums but they strictly prohibit putting your website address on anything. I'll have to do some more thinking about ways that I can drive traffic.

How much are you spending in advertising? I'd like to avoid spending too much money as childcare for 2 little ones is killing me! :)

Thanks for the response...looking forward to hearing back from you!

W. Edwards Deming

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
How long have you been doing daily posts? It takes time for Google to deem your worthy of getting its traffic.
How focused are your keywords? Google might not know who to send to your site.
Are you doing any other promotions? The most painful web myth in the world is that if you build it, they will come. You have to go get them.

Nimzyc

• Student
    • View Profile
    • FreedomwithFivePercent
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
I just hit my 1 month mark for having analytics maybe a week where the analytics were wrong so no data. As of yesterday I just broke the 100 unique visitor mark.  Close to breaking the 200 mark on total visits.

The visitor traffic has been sporadic one day 20 next day single digits. I did start a google adword campaign, the first one didn't have much luck on clicks and was expensive, using the key words only one or two clicks a day with a $.50 max. I started a second one and used the adword program to find a much better keyword to focus the campaign around and also put a .50 max, a doubled the clicks in a couple days and paused the original campaign. After 6 days I have racked up about $4.50 in charges with 27 clicks coming to about 17 cents a click. Much better the .50 a click.

Otherwise I am on twitter, fb, and google plus, dont do much other then post when a new post in on the website. Occassionally on Fb Ill post a cool video. I started a youtube site but haven't done anything with that yet. I think I have retweeted and reposted  on my personal fb and twitter maybe twice.

Hope this helps, no clue if this is better or worse than the average just what has happened for me.
One Life One Chance. So make the most of every moment. No regrets only lessons learned

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
I started out at 200 viewers/day, because I had a static HTML site up for a year or so that was getting linked from a bunch of Wikipedia articles. Once I started using Wordpress and porting 3 times per week, it took me a year to go from 200/day up to 1000/day (or about 2 new readers per day). Then within a couple weeks time I got linked from a couple big blogs and pushed my posting up to 5 or 6 times per week, and I was able to hold on to a lot of the traffic spikes from those links - my traffic is now averaging about 1500/day, with 2000 on occasion.

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:29 PM »
In response to Ian, I've been posting daily (M-F) since November 12th...just put up my 26th post.

I'm trying to be specific with my keywords but I have to admit that I don't do all of the research that I should before selecting them.

The only thing I have right now in terms of promotions are my personal and Mid-Atlantic Gardening FB pages and some bumper stickers. I know it may seem strange with the bumper stickers but my husband and I are always on the road so we figure it's kind of free advertising. I haven't done anything with Google Adwords or other electronic means of advertising.

To Nimzyc, thanks for sharing all of your info...I need to research the Google Adwords further and see if that's something that doable for me. Do you have to pay for spam clicks too? So far, I've deleted 71 spam comments from my 26 posts.

To Ian, how did you get linked to Wiki articles? That seems like the land of opportunity if you can get that traffic. Congrats on pushing your numbers that high...I think you are the guy that Jack issued the challenge to and if so, it looks like Jack will be keeping his money!

Thanks for all of your replies...I hope that we can keep the conversation going so that none of us get discouraged.

W. Edwards Deming

Nimzyc

• Student
    • View Profile
    • FreedomwithFivePercent
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
midatlantic, I guess I am really not to sure if they are charging for spam clicks I would guess they probably are charged. You may want to contact google to find out how that works, if you can prove its spam maybe get a refund. I will def check more if  I get to that point so far I have only had a couple spam posts.
One Life One Chance. So make the most of every moment. No regrets only lessons learned

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »
I didn't do anything to get the Wikipedia links. The material I had posted on the static site was stuff that couldn't be found anywhere else (original Aberdeen Proving Ground photos and testing reports) about some pretty rare guns, so they were good additions to what were generally very brief articles. In a few cases, people just copied my writeups word for word and used them as new Wiki articles. This worked because there was very little else out there on the topics.

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:02 PM »
In my experience, it varies dramatically.

By way of example... Small Biz Advisor had 100 uniques per day in month 1, and didn't break 1K unique per day until its 8th month-- yet it approached (but never quite hit) 10k a day a few months later. By way of comparison, PokerStreams (a streaming video poker tutorial site) broke 1K uniques per day in its first month, and just shy n 5K per day in its second month. A third site I did (Hybrid Focus) never did find an audience. (I sold SBA and shut down PokerStreams and HF when I took a job at MSFT in 2005 due to moonlighting rules.) Sometimes you get lucky and find an audience quickly, but most of the time it takes a minimum of 6 months. Usually, once you hit a certain critical mass, growth occurs more quickly.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

Nimzyc

• Student
    • View Profile
    • FreedomwithFivePercent
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »
MidAtlantic, so I got hit by spam finally today, with 35 posts  :P So far I haven't been charged any out of the ordinary, I had a slight up tick on clicks but I can only have so many with the budget settings anyway. Also I haven't been able to find anywhere on google adwords that would tell me who is clicking so I cannot tell if they are genuine clicks or spam clicks.

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
Sorry Nimzyc...hope that I didn't jinx you!

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement...now go check out my site!  ;D

W. Edwards Deming

Chris Ray

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Christian
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
The first six months of my blog I had no clue what I was doing and had less than visitors a day. The second six months I had things down a little better but wasn’t posting enough.  I got lucky and had someone post a link to my site on Glenn Becks “The Blaze” last fall and then I started seeing more traffic.  I have posted four times a week since the first of the year and am seeing roughly 200 visits a day. 

Oh and for those of you getting spammed, get the plugin called Akismet, it costs a buck but will shut down 99% of the spam.
http://preparedchristian.net/
Being Prudent In Today's World

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
I've only been blogging for a month or so but I've followed Jack's recommendations about posting 5 days a week. I've installed SEO by Yoast, Google Analytics and SmartLinks. My audience isn't really growing and I want to know what I should expect as far as growth. My topic is gardening (www.midatlanticgardening.com) and I realize that most people aren't really into it at this time of year. My awesome husband keeps encouraging me but at times I feel really frustrated.

What are you doing w/ Facebook? Are you having success building your fan page? What other blogs have you reached out to on there to help promote?

Have you considered buying stumbleupon and google adwords?

Having good content on your page is one thing, but your a small island in a sea... you need to start setting off flares. That means leaving the island.

Get onto other blogs and start commenting. In fact bump your posts down to say 3 per week and spend the extra time engaging. I bet you will start to see a nice boost

Consider setting up a squidoo lens or similar sites

Get a youtube channel going and make sure you have your URL in it.

a few ideas to get you rolling
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!