January 21, 2018, 08:11:36 PM

Author Topic: Twitter Attacks  (Read 1438 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Twitter Attacks
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:22 PM »
I started my blog with a large Twitter presence. I am active on Twitter for around 8 hours a day. In my months on there I have had a few disagreements with other users, but nothing ever came of most of it. Until this one guy. He constantly spammed a hash tag and was asked to stop by several. After constantly asking him to stop he turned on the ones that asked him to stop his spam. He attacked us and our blogs. We got his account suspended so he created a new one with a goal of attacking us three Twitter users. My Twitter is for my blog/business. This guy is constantly attacking my business now. He isn't attacking others as much and he is focusing on me. I have reported him, blocked him, ect. I can not get this guy to leave me alone. He is now tweeting people telling them that I am attacking vets and wounded warriors and that they should join him in getting my account suspended.
I got his IP address through a spam comment on my blog where he claimed to be a us vet and used a fake military email address. It was noticeably fake a @army.gov He gloated about his comment on Twitter is how I know it was him. I have blocked his access to my web site through cPanel. He has used multiple Twitters at once, so I assume he has multiple computers too and blocking that IP did me no good.

Do you guys know of anything I can do to protect my self and my business? Well mostly my online business, I'm not worried about him paying me a personal visit.

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
Re: Twitter Attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
Not sure, others may have better suggestions but I assume what you have done would be the same thing I would do.

On the flip side, haters are your biggest fans so you must be doing something right.

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
Agreed with SPayne.  I cannot speak from a technical standpoint, but he sounds like a bully and that is what I work with. 

SPayne's advice is not glitzy but it's sound and spot on.  Regardless of your technological response, you are going to have to be tougher than him.  Dig in and not let him push you around.  Certainly don't do things to provoke but you're going to outlast him in this little game. 

So long as you are in fact not slandering Veterans or doing any of the things he is accusing you of, you will be just fine.  In fact, you will likely see more hits on your site than ever before.  People will want to see what this Big-Bad Gunpreparedness guy is saying only to find out that he appreciates vets with all his heart (or however you feel about Vets).  Then, hopefully, conversions happen and BOO-SHAKA!  Thank you turd for bringing me business. 

Folks like this use fear and intimidation to try and manipulate people.  Bottom line, he will not bring your business down and he does not have the power to do that. You have that power if you let him get to you, but ultimately he doesn't.  Think of him as a kiddo with one of those superman costumes on or a kitten that puffs all its fur out.  It's a show to try and look bigger than they really are. 

Here is an article at SocialTriggers.com that was very good on this topic.  Scroll down to the part titled How Bad Press Destroys

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
If you've got a great community you can always tell them to help you out. But the best way is to simply ignore them and answer all accusations and questions about your brand on forums etc by using Google Alerts for your brand name.

Also you must protect your brand from them so they can't use black hat SEO to blacken your brand. Like TSP that also leads to Jack's personal portfolio and the "gateway". That way you control most of the links on google's first page which are important.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »
So I was thinking about, and started a Twitter blackout. I haven't posted in nearly 24 hours. I hope this will let him move on by not seeing my name anywhere on Twitter.

Was that a bad move?

Also, I just noticed that my site stats are way down today, even though I launched a contest.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:03:50 PM by gunpreparedness »
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
I think you are spending too much time thinking about one retard.

Just block him on twitter (there is a dropdown menu with the choice) and get on with your life/business.