January 19, 2018, 10:54:27 PM

Author Topic: Amazon Affiliate links  (Read 3803 times)

Mike.SP_Aqua

• Student
    • MSN Messenger - elliottmk@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Springport Aquaponics
    • Email
Amazon Affiliate links
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
So I just took the leap and created my first Amazon Affiliate link.

I posted a book review on my blog that was completely relevant to my site.  I posted a few pros for buying the book and several cons for how this book did not fit my needs.  I know it seems silly to post a link for a book I just tore apart, but I'm not about to lie and lose the trust of my 100 visitors so far.

My question to you, I didn't choose a payment method yet because I do not yet have a business bank account.  Which is better, direct deposit or check in the mail?

Michael sends.
http://www.springportaquaponics.com
Twitter: @Sp_Aquaponics
Zello: Michigan Aquaponics

Scott

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Spinning Wheels
    • Email
Re: Amazon Affiliate links
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »
Direct deposit is really convenient. And going into your personal account starting out isn't a huge deal. I was a freelance designer for years and just put all of my income into my personal account. Once you get up and running you can switch to your business account.

on a side note,
I read your post and it is helpful on what not to buy. But do you have any other suggestions for a book choice on the topic? You may help someone stumble onto a different book and still get a commission.
Handmade Spinning Wheels
www.overlandhandcraft.com

Mike.SP_Aqua

• Student
    • MSN Messenger - elliottmk@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Springport Aquaponics
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
I am sorry to say that I have not yet run across a book like that.  The best information I have ever found is Jack's www.TheSurvivalPodcast.com episode # 698.  Jack breaks it down to exactly why you want to use the herbs he's talking about and he even offers recipes on the spot.  It is really that podcast that encouraged me to start my herb-farm.

I did notice that Amazon suggested a few herb and spice books I have not read yet, and I intend to buy them and review them at a later date.

Thank you for the advice about using my own bank account, my biggest concern is keeping my business money seperate from my personal money.  (not to mention taxes) :o
Michael..
http://www.springportaquaponics.com
Twitter: @Sp_Aquaponics
Zello: Michigan Aquaponics

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
FWIW, I just opened an additional savings account with my existing personal bank. That was simple and easy, and it lets me keep web site money separate from my person funds. Once I start getting a significant amount of cash flow through the site (more than my December $20 deposit from Amazon :) ) I will look into more formal arrangements.

IIRC, Amazon charges a service fee for sending physical checks. Direct deposit is free, so that made it an easy decision for me.

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Helping people in the Mid-Atlantic region realize their gardening potential
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
OK...stupid question. Where does everyone put the disclaimer that Amazon requires you to have on your website when you're an affiliate? I checked on TSP and didn't see anything.

Thanks,
Stacey
http://midatlanticgardening.com

Change is not necessary - survival is not mandatory.
W. Edwards Deming

FrankJL

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
I don't have one / didn't know you needed one.  I got my affiliate ID 3 months ago too...

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:58:01 AM »
I had no idea as well. How do I post an affiliate link in my YouTube videos? I've done a few videos on repairing video games and it would be nice if they knew where to get the items in the description
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »
Youtube seems to be pretty leery of letting people post links in video descriptions. The best I've found is that if you type a URL into the description (no formatting tags), it will be automatically converted into an active link. I haven't been able to find out how to make plain text into a link.

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Helping people in the Mid-Atlantic region realize their gardening potential
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Here's what I'm talking about:

10. Identifying Yourself as an Associate
 You will not issue any press release or make any other public communication with respect to this Operating Agreement, your use of the Content, or your participation in the Program. You will not misrepresent or embellish the relationship between us and you (including by expressing or implying that we support, sponsor, endorse, or contribute to any charity or other cause), or express or imply any relationship or affiliation between us and you or any other person or entity except as expressly permitted by this Operating Agreement. You must, however, clearly state the following on your site: “[Insert your name] is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to [insert the applicable site name (amazon.com, endless.com, smallparts.com or myhabit.com)].”
http://midatlanticgardening.com

Change is not necessary - survival is not mandatory.
W. Edwards Deming

plumber4200

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Bluetooth Car Stereo Reviews
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »
Hey guys,
thought you might like to know of a cool Amazon application that I use.  I do not get commissions as my affiliate sites are not related to internet marketing but actual products.  This is a Wordpress plugin called EazyAzon!  A guy named Chris Guthrie designed it and he makes around $150,000 per year with amazon sites.  His website is nicheprofitcourse.com, but you can find him on google under Chris Guthrie.

I must state that he has personally emailed me many times, even just to get my take on things as a beginner affiliate marketer.  I trust him right up there with Jack Spirko.

His product makes it simple to put amazon links in your posts.  You install the plugin and when you go to write an article or post you will find the EazyAzon widget down under your All in ONe Seo.  All you do is type in keywords that you want or the amazon code and it pulls it up.  Then it gives you the ability to automatically do buy now buttons, text links, image links and infoblocks.  YOu no longer have to actually go get the code and do it yourself. 

This thing saves me huge time. I got it last year and he already gave me version 2 for free.  PS - it ties in your links to amazon in england and it cloaks your amazon links so that google does not see them.

This is the best plugin i have.

Hope this tip helps. 

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
On the disclaimer statement, you can often copy from the affiliate program, whatever it is they need and add it to your footer, separate page, etc. 

http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/wp-policy/  Here is a plugin which writes such pages for you.  One possible solution.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
hey guys, I just was signing up for Amazon Affiliate links, and I have a question.  I am a resident of NC. The very first page advises that NC is not eligible.  Does anyone know a was around that, or will I just not be able to play?

Thanks
Charles
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
Hey guys,
thought you might like to know of a cool Amazon application that I use.  I do not get commissions as my affiliate sites are not related to internet marketing but actual products.  This is a Wordpress plugin called EazyAzon!  A guy named Chris Guthrie designed it and he makes around $150,000 per year with amazon sites.  His website is nicheprofitcourse.com, but you can find him on google under Chris Guthrie.

I must state that he has personally emailed me many times, even just to get my take on things as a beginner affiliate marketer.  I trust him right up there with Jack Spirko.

His product makes it simple to put amazon links in your posts.  You install the plugin and when you go to write an article or post you will find the EazyAzon widget down under your All in ONe Seo.  All you do is type in keywords that you want or the amazon code and it pulls it up.  Then it gives you the ability to automatically do buy now buttons, text links, image links and infoblocks.  YOu no longer have to actually go get the code and do it yourself. 

This thing saves me huge time. I got it last year and he already gave me version 2 for free.  PS - it ties in your links to amazon in england and it cloaks your amazon links so that google does not see them.

This is the best plugin i have.

Hope this tip helps. 

I found Chris Guthrie myself.  Was wondering if he was completely legit.  Seemed to be. The one thing I don't like about him is he uses false scarcity, by using services that say ONLY 2 left at this price and then Only 1 left... and then its back up to 2 again.

That kind of thing pisses me off.
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

Clybrad

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Understanding Pets Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
hey guys, I just was signing up for Amazon Affiliate links, and I have a question.  I am a resident of NC. The very first page advises that NC is not eligible.  Does anyone know a was around that, or will I just not be able to play?

Thanks
Charles

Im in the same boat.  I wonder why NC residents can not use the affiliate program...

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »

Thanks
Charles

Im in the same boat.  I wonder why NC residents can not use the affiliate program...

This is a big issue in California as well, though Amazon caved into pressure from the CA govt and restored affiliate privileges to CA residents recently. Basically, it's your state's fault: they are trying to force Amazon to collect sales tax ALL of the revenues Amazon earns selling to your state's residents if they have a "nexus" in that state. While traditionally that has been taken to mean they have offices or physical locations in the state, your state has decided to say that "Afilliates" constitute a "nexus."

So it's not just going to be Amazon-- you will have fewer options available to you in general as a result. 

You can always form a corporation or LLC in a more friendly state like Nevada. It will cost a couple hundred bucks, but can be advantageous from a taxation and legal perspective. Talk to an attorney and/or CPA and once you know what you want to do you can use a service like mycorporation.com (I used them to set up Redirective LLC) to do all the paperwork and act as your registered agent in the state. You can do it yourself for a little less, but it can be tough to do everything depending on the state without physically visiting state offices. I always do Nevada for a couple reasons (including the fact that it's the only state where the members of an LLC do not have to be disclosed.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:56:04 AM by jrj »
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org