January 21, 2018, 02:14:54 AM

Author Topic: Aweber Alternative  (Read 2423 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Aweber Alternative
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:07 PM »
I am looking for an email program for Wordpress. I have wp responder and can not get it to automatically send my posts. I would like to switch to aweber, but can't do the $19 a month. Is there an alternative?
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Aweber Alternative
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »
Mailchimp

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
Think through what you want to do.  If all you want to do is to allow people to subscribe to your blog and get notified when anything new is posted, there is a plugin called Subscribe2.  I've been using it on my private blog for a while now and it is quite cool and works well - for what it is designed to do. 

Most folks on this forum are looking for far more sophisticated email capabilities - ability to do things like email campaigns etc.  For that Aweber / MailChimp are top contenders.

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
What I understand MailChimp is free if you have less than 2 000 subscribers.
http://mailchimp.com/pricing/free/
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

Richard

• Apprentice
  • Cheating Death and Fighting Communism
    • View Profile
    • BlueSheepdog.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
I know there are a lot of Aweber fans here, but I have had very good success with MailChimp.  MailChimp is free to start, which made it possible to build a list before I had any real cashflow.  They have some good tutorial videos and tools, so it isn't a "bare bones" operation.

-Richard
Dad, husband, cop and defender of The Wall.  If you are interested in firearms, self defense, or police stuff, check out my websites BlueSheepdog.com and GunsHolstersAndGear.com.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
I tried Aweber but am switching to Mailchimp... I couldn't justify spending the money on Aweber when I only have a few subscribers.  I am not sure if Mailchimp has the "blog broadcast" feature but it is okay even if it doesn't.

Richard

• Apprentice
  • Cheating Death and Fighting Communism
    • View Profile
    • BlueSheepdog.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Hey r00tbeer -

Not sure what the blog broadcast feature is, but MailChimp allows you to set up an automated newsletter that will send updates to all of your subscribers using your RSS feed as the content.  I think you can set it up for daily or weekly, so you can send blog updates.

FWIW, I use a program on the Mac called Mail Designer which allows me to set up a custom look for the weekly updates.  It has built in MailChimp integration (very nice.)  I'm sure there is a Windows program out there that will do the same.  The point being you can set up a completely custom look for your readers (and do so for free through the first 2000 subscribers).

-Richard
Dad, husband, cop and defender of The Wall.  If you are interested in firearms, self defense, or police stuff, check out my websites BlueSheepdog.com and GunsHolstersAndGear.com.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
Yep that is the feature I'm talking about.  Thanks for that info.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
I was searching Google and found Subscribe2 plug in for Wordpress. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and so far so good. It's free. And it sends out the basic news letter daily. That meets my needs.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness