January 16, 2018, 03:11:05 PM

Author Topic: Episode-110- Using Zello as a Social Media Tool  (Read 5955 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Episode-110- Using Zello as a Social Media Tool
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
The podcast for this thread is at http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-110-using-zello-as-a-social-media-tool

Last Friday I learned about an app called Zello on my podcast from a listener.  I downloaded it at once because I understood it might be a great tool for communicatioins.  It has a lot of preparedness components so that was my initial take on it.  However, I have now determined that Zello may be one of the ultimate social media applications ever created.

If you remember Nextel Zello is a lot like the old Nextel radio and you can install it on any Android or iPhone for free. Once you set up an account you can then set up "channels" which are like chat rooms in a way.  You can then talk to anyone who joins and is listening to the channel.  I have been talking to my audience on the ride to my office each morning and the results have been awesome, it has formed better relationships, given me a lot of great feedback and ideas and has been FUN AS HELL.

Tune in to learn more about using Zello, find out about the new RoadTo100K Channel and what a Zello conversation sounds like.

Oh and for people that don’t have an Android or iPhone you can run it on your PC or Mac as well. You can get more on zello at http://www.zello.com

MikeFX

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: Episode-110- Using Zello as a Social Media Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
What a fascinating app!  This could be like a voice IRC channel for help from the community with any question about a specific forum topic as well as a general chat forum.

There are tons of possibilities but in the end it helps make community and for guys like me that find it hard to follow forums a way to keep in contact with other members.

Awesome Jack!!

starlite

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
Man! This is one of those extremely rare occasions when it stinks to run Linux.  I want Zello too! :) The possibilities are amazing and endless!

Sarah
http://claimingliberty.com

MikeFX

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
Are you running any sort of windows emulator or dual boot?  Might be worth it to at least try it out.

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Say "Hello on Zello"

Maybe Jack can use a private channel for his premium call-ins. I assume there is no max on participants.

Joshuab

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
I was driving back from a fishing trip listening to TSP and heard about the Zello on there, grabbed it from the iphone and got setup. I had thought the same thing of the possibilities it held for being a social media tool also just from the little bit I played with it.

From a business standpoint there is a lot of functionality as well, we used to have nextel and it worked great in some areas but totally sucked ass most of the time. So we have went to Verizon, this may bring some of the great features of the direct connect back in to the smart phone world. While there have been lots of apps similar to Zello this one so far has worked better than any of the others I have tried.

I think getting all of us on it as a community and having our own channels for our sites will bring it even more attention and like was said on the podcast, we may be the first to use it in this manner and really get some good benefits from it.

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
Man! This is one of those extremely rare occasions when it stinks to run Linux.  I want Zello too! :) The possibilities are amazing and endless!

Sarah

This is why I think anyone who does any sort of business online should get at least one cheap PC to keep on their network.  Linux is the car that never breaks down but can only drive on 75% of the roads out there.  You can get a decent laptop running Windows 7 (which even I have to say is a good operating system) for about 250 bucks. 

Not to mention I am amazed that anyone really in business with SM and the net doesn't have a smart phone. 

I get it when cost is an issue but to me these are things to budget for with growth. 

starlite

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:02:06 AM »
For those who wonder why I'm running Linux exclusively, I guess I need to explain.  I'm legally blind.  Windows is EXTREMELY difficult to make accessible out of the box, and the companies that make good accessibility software charge a premium.  (For example, back when I was using WindowEyss and Windows95, the accessibility software cost around $1000 in the late 90s.)

Running a dual boot setup does me no good because it's not accessible to me, and running an emulator like Wine doesn't work for those same reasons.

We did try an Android emulator on my machine, but we never quite managed to get it to work.  It'll run on my husband's box but not mine.  (My box is pretty old though and we're going to be looking to upgrade soon.)

As for why I don't have a smartphone, that's easy.  Cost! It's easy to say that everyone in business should do x, y, and z or everyone who's serious about survival and liberty should do a, b, and c, but I'm being realistic here.  Given cell phone service in our area, I'm not willing to trade the home phone for a cell phone (which is the only way I'd be able to free up the cash right now to pull it off.) A smartphone is a goal of mine, and we'll have the chance to use my husband's work phone as a test bed for accessibility, but for now, I'll just have to deal with no Zello.

Sarah

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:14 AM »
@starlite

unrelated to this thread, but that's how i found you. I shared one of your articles on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/saveourskills

I wanted to tag your facebook page and send you some fans, but I couldn't find a link to your page on your site or on the facebook search.

Anyway If you haven't setup a fan page do so ASAP and get it linked up. Just a heads up. Nice article

-Nick
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

starlite

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
@Nick,

Thanks for the good mojo.  I'm not sure why my fan page doesn't come up in the FB search, but I've noticed that happening on occasion.

http://www.facebook.com/ClaimingLiberty/

I have a link to the fan page on my site (on the About Us page), but I guess it's not obvious enough.  When I looked for a critique of my site here, it didn't come up.  I'll definitely have to figure out how to make it more obvious 'cause I don't have a lot of fans on FB yet.

And to keep this on-topic, that's why I'm excited about Zello.  Like Jack, I see the potential as a new kind of social media.  I MIGHT be able to get my hands on a tablet cheaply so we can try some of the accessibility stuff AND get hooked up with Zello.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sarah

coldbore762

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Downloaded Zello today and have been playing with it. There are definitely a lot of possibilities there.

I'm most exited about adding some redundancy to my communications abilities :D

Mike.SP_Aqua

• Student
    • MSN Messenger - elliottmk@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Springport Aquaponics
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »
Per this podcast, I downloaded Zello and created my account and channel. 

Now how do I go about making a link on my website do direct traffic to my Zello channel? :o

Michael Elliott sends.
http://www.springportaquaponics.com
Twitter: @Sp_Aquaponics
Zello: Michigan Aquaponics

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 11:28:57 AM »
I think you more need to publicize Zello tell your visitors how to find your channel.  So you need like a page about zello and a link or icon or something saying "Talk to Us on Zello", something like that.