January 21, 2018, 02:26:10 AM

Author Topic: Capturing Visitor's Email Addresses  (Read 1984 times)

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
Capturing Visitor's Email Addresses
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
How do you motivate your website viewers to sign up for newsletters, rss, feedburner, or whatever tool you use on your site for lead capture?  I'm purposefully leaving social media out of this question to be discussed later.  I'm primarily interested how you entice readers to commit to receiving more news from your site with an email address submission.  

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:49:32 AM by DeneBrock »
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Capturing Visitor's Email Addresses
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Great post and it brings my first question, do we add an email marking board to the forum and move this post to it or do we get radical and say email is now to be considered part of social media?  I am not sure.  I was going to do a email board last night when I set up the forum but got tired of the load times and called it a night.  On the weekends for now I am limited to att wireless, SLOW.  But wild blue is getting installed on Dec19th  ;D

Now to the original question.  Here are my thoughts after a decade of doing this stuff...

1.  Nothing is more useless and time wasting and distracting and less read by the intended audience then an email newsletter.  First news letters are promised weekly or monthly and then NO ONE ever does it consistently, not major brands, not little guys, no one.  The problem is they are seen as "special" so we procrastinate, cram to much shit in them, etc.  So my adivice is post everything you want your people to see, from basic info, to sales copy, to announcements, to anything as it comes up and you will have daily content (necessary) and won't send things that compete for mind share once a month, over whelm your audience with stuff and get a watered down effect.  Plus think how much time you will save if you are not jacking around with a enewletters appearance, lay out, formatting, you have the crap on your blog use it.  Blog posts live online forever, emails are deleted in a day or three.  So tip one, don't promise a newsletter, it will annoy the reader that they get three a year at best.

2.  MAKE IT VERY EASY to find the op in form.  Use color, positioning, etc.  Say it is for updates or perhaps insider tips (see jackspirko.com) and just make damn sure it can be found easily.  NEVER PROMISE a damn thing to a subscriber unless you have a system in place to deliver it already.  Like if you say, "get ten tips in the next ten days" the damn things better be loaded in your autoresponder not half done and you launch that before you finish.

3.  A targeted landing page is best for traffic you are paying for or exchanging banners for or pushing traffic to with a campaign etc.  Sell the reader on how bad ass your site is, the fact that great stuff is published DAILY and they might miss something, make it sound like something they should be paying for but get free and would be stupid not to want. 

4.  Along with three above, writing a ebook or ereport that you have to opt in to get is a great idea.  It isn't right for every niche but it is deadly when used properly.

5.  I know you said you were leaving SM out for now but I can't  :)  What we all need to understand is that twitter, facebook and the like are simply means of communication, that is exactly the same thing as email.  Some prefer email, some prefer RSS, some twitter, some facebook.  So really you should have a "subscribe" or "get updates" page and include all those methods on that page, that page can then also be your landing page, cool huh?  Funny thing is as market savvy as I am if I personally land on your site and love it, guess what option I want, good old email.  The only thing I really do with SM is talk to my people, if I subscribe to your fan page though I am on FB daily I will likely not know much about your site from FB, however, I batch my email out in 5 daily batches, if I am on your email list I will get your update.  For many people it is exactly the opposite.  So understand that subscribing is the key, not what the subscription medium is.

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:06:27 PM »
OK I've gotta address the WildBlue thing first, then I'll get back on topic! I promise! 
I live in a black hole, literally.  Even cell phone reception sucks here.  So our first attempt at internet connectivity was Wild Blue.  It worked fine for awhile, but even though they sold the service as 'unlimited' they began to throttle back on me and my download speeds became dismal.  So just watch them on that..  and if you've ever had satellite TV, you know that you lose reception during bad weather... same with Wildblue.   

I now have unlimited Verizon Broadband that if I ever give it up, I'll never be able to get unlimited again..

Plus we have AT&T wireless which is much faster than Verizon, but limited to 5GB, so I squeeze everything I can out of it each month then switch over to Verizon.  It's nuts!  That's why we finally rented office space in town so we could get U-verse and actually get some WORK done, but we still need something at home.

There.. I feel better now.

RE: email capture... Great tips, thanks.  I have to admit that facebook has allowed me to build a nice base of fans who I can personally talk to and relate to much better than a newsletter could ever do!  And you are exactly right!  I've tried the newsletter route in the past and it's a pain.  I still use a newsletter format for one website that I manage, but it works for that site because it's my school's PTO website.  The parents who sign up for the newsletter like that format, and it makes it easier on the office staff to make printed versions to send home to parents who don't subscribe online.  So everything has its place I guess.  I personally have cancelled subscriptions to folks who are still using really nice graphical newsletter-like emails based on the size of the file coming into my box (see comments above on sucky internet access) and I think I've just gotten to a point where I want "just the facts, mam".. give me one or two lines of text and if I'm interested, I'll click to learn more.

I am just now beginning to look at my demographics and traffic resources so I really don't have a lot I can say on it yet.  But I do know that I spend a lot more time building relationships on facebook, very little on twitter (although I do use it a tiny bit just to keep that base available to me) but my capture of emails has normally been dismal.  It has, however, began to pick up over the past month or so with some of the changes I have made since I've been trying to apply your advice from 5MWJ. 

Split email traffic building from SM?  I think so.  At least for me, it's two different worlds that I haven't been able to marry together.  But that might just be me..
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »
Would a monthly book give away be a good incentive to encourage signing up for the email list?

Joshuab

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Just to chime in about email list,
My announcement says "Be the first to get blog updates and receive special insider info". Today I launched a forum. I emailed my email list this morning to give them 1st shot at signing up for a 1st 50(Yes I borrowed it from here, and YES I gave Jack credit!). When the 1st 50 is locked, I will do a little give-a-way to thank the early fan base.

I wait to post to fb and twitter for about 1hr after a post goes live. I try to give email subscribers 1st shot at reading and posting comments. Don't worry, I interact with Facebook and twitter(which I love) just as much, but I try to give a little something special to the email list.

I am not really sure if it is the best approach, but I am going with it. If it proves wrong, I will change it, but I want the email folks to feel like they are special. To be honest, they are. I really appreciate someone would want to read my post, and watch my videos enough to give me personal info.

Just my 2cents
Charles.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

lemonscorner

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Lemon's Corner - Following one family's journey to a more sustainable life
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
Do the popup signup forms work? It seems like such an in-your-face way to get them to sign up.

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »
I was thinking of doing a giveaway also, not the first 50 or anything like that but for every month your on the email list you get one entry into the monthly contest, contest will also require people post at least a certain amount of comments...not sure how to implement all this yet. So if your in for 6 months you get 6 entries for that month, 7 the next. once you win you cant win again for 90 days, then have maximum amount of entries capped or reset the entries by trading for free stuff like ebooks or free subscriptions or tangible assets.

What do you think?
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com