January 21, 2018, 02:32:00 AM

Author Topic: Opt in?  (Read 1350 times)

MT Knives

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • MT Knives
    • Email
Opt in?
« on: April 19, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
Ok so I am a little confused about the whole single opt in and double yada yada I can't seem to find where jack talks about it and don't understand if you have a pop up and they fill it out isn't that opting in? or is that no opt in, do you just send them a confirmation e-mail or a opt in email. Using Aweber it has the confirmation E-mail that requires you to opt in (keep that?) Then It has an option for opt in on the form (turn that off?)  I would think if they filled out the form that is good enough? Thanks for the help  ;D
www.mtknives.net www.simplycleansing.com MT Knives, be sharper than the rest!

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
Re: Opt in?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
Optin is really double opt in or confirmed opt in.

Having just a signup form on your web site for people to join your mailing list, without having a confirmation email they have to click on, is called single opt in.

Single opt-in can easily be faked and you can just load up emails without having to have people confirm.  Spammers obviously use single optin.  Some legitimate email senders do single opt-in too because you get more people that way.

If you have a popup box on your blog like Jack does... and require people to fill out the form to opt in... Then they get the email they have to click on to confirm... In my experience you will lose 30% of the people right here.  30% of them will just enter an email to see what happens or enter in a fake email, or make a typo on their email address or delete your confirmation email without opening it, etc.

That's why people don't like the double optin.  The problem is that with single optin you get a lot more spam complaints.  That's why most companies like Aweber recommend for you to use double optin.

In Aweber if you ever turn on double optin you can never turn it off.  You have to create a new account and leave double opt in turned off.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

MT Knives

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • MT Knives
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
Got it but Jack recommend the single opt in right? The other thing I was wondering is I would like to add all the contacts I already have in my e-mail account.... these would be people who have already ordered from us, I was going to just send them all a update from there but I was told you never want to send out one email to that many people (around 100). What is the best was to contact these customers? I really don't think any of them would mind and I think aweber sends them a email that they choose to opt out of. but they recommend emailing them a week in advance and then again a couple of days before and let them know what is going on, but then i am back to sending out mass emails from my account.   ??? thanks for your help

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
Yep Jack recommends single opt in...

Like I said I use double optin and LOSE 30% of my subscribers immediately because of the double optin.  That's why Jack likes single optin.

As far as importing customers... I don't think you can import them into aweber without sending them a confirmation email. I don't think aweber allows you to import them.

If it's only 100 users you can use your regular email account and BCC them.  You might break it up into 2 or 3 different emails so you aren't emailing all 100 people at once.

If it's a several hundred you can try a software program called:  Worldmerge

Worldmerge is basically desktop email list software. You can have all your email addresses in a text file, and blast off an email to all of them. Some isp's will block it... the ports they use will be blocked so you may actually have to connect the software to your SMTP account (your email account on your web host.)   Because you just run it from your desktop you don't have to get confirmation or anything. You just add your names and email them.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

MT Knives

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • MT Knives
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »
thank you  ;D