January 19, 2018, 10:48:49 PM

Author Topic: Google AdWords - yes or no?  (Read 1888 times)

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
Google AdWords - yes or no?
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »
What do you guys think about AdWords?  I don't want my readers to be put off by generic, automated advertising, and so I'm a but leery of using AdWords. I also can't find much information about how much revenue I could actually expect to get from them. What have your experiences with AdWords been like? Should I reconsider them for my site?

Cesar

• Student
  • http://geocachefamily.com
    • View Profile
    • Geocaching Family
Re: Google AdWords - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
Do you mean Adsense?  Adwords is when you pay Google to advertise your site on other peoples pages.  AdSense is when you use Google to place ads on your site to make some extra money.

If you mean Adsense, it can be a bit of a balancing act between annoying your users and keeping the ads unobtrusive.  One thing to consider is that AdSense does try to make the ads relevant for each visitor by checking their search and browsing history.  Since most users go to Google for searches, many have Google email accounts and stay logged in so Google keeps a history of their browsing.  Scary, I know. 

There are several plug ins for Wordpress that let you manage your Adsense ads and how they are placed on your site and how often they appear.  I always try to view changes to my Adsense placing using different browsers and both logged in and out of my Google accounts.

Cesar

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
My bad - I did mean AdSense.

plumber4200

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Bluetooth Car Stereo Reviews
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:37:47 AM »
You know...Google scares the hell out of me! I use adsense, but have not made alot from it.  However as a previous commenter said, it is scary how much they track you.  I recently was using some proxies I purchased to do some backlinking with SE Nuke, and as a beginner i accidentally had the proxies wrong.  I was using a stripped down computer as the host for the proxies.  I went to search google for something and google made me fill in a "Captcha" box because it saw some suspicious activity on my computer and thought I was a robot! 

What this means is that google has software in place to make sure you are playing by their rules!! Next day I quit using SENuke an now hire out all me seo and cheap backlinking and pinging, so that there is no way they will look at my ip address funny.

Anyway, i have found that you can do better with adsense depending on its placement on the page.  Move the ads around occasionally for testing purposes.

Pat ;)