January 18, 2018, 03:26:05 AM

Author Topic: Moving my WP site to another host  (Read 4206 times)

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Moving my WP site to another host
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:25:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
I've mentioned before that I have a modified WP site that was basically made for dummies. The company has set up a dashboard that is supposed to be easy for any newbies that are uncomfortable with the internet. After listening to FMWJ, I realize I am severely limited in implementing plug-ins and any suggestions Jack makes. I've asked them if I can install this or that plug-in and the answer is always NO.

I would like to move my modified WP site to a real WP site where I can choose all I want. I have about a year and a half's worth of posts and images, not to mention my subscribers on iContact. Any suggestions on making this move as painless as possible? I'm wanting to use hostgator and aweber.

Thanks,
Mil

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Moving my WP site to another host
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
It can be done.  Do you have access to the files on your current host? or do you only have your wordpress login

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »
Not sure who you are with now, but sounds like you don't have access to the files, if you do just skip ahead of the next paragraph.

Request a backup file from who ever is hosting you now. Ask them to send you all the web files and images and also a copy of you database with the make and drop tables included in the sql file. With those 2 things you can put the site back up pretty quick.

Main thing would be the sql file and images, once you have those files. Setup the new host but don't initiate the dns setup yet.Install a fresh version of WP, in the phpmyadmin or however you would access the database (I believe there is a plugin for it also) and upload that sql file. All the content should be back at this point and just needs the images. Everything may look correct as your domain is still at the old site and images may be pointing there. Upload the theme you were using to the wp-content directory and activate it(should include all images from posts aswell). Check and make sure everything looks correct, if it does go and point the domain to the new host (that may take a few days for everything to clear up). Then you should be good to go.

The DNS setup or domain transfer is the most confusing part of it, if the old host is holding your domain you may want to just transfer it to your new host if they don't let you manage it.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »
Are you willing to spend money?

I believe the premium version of Desktop Server (serverpress.com) allows you to "copy" WordPress websites and then create easy to install versions of them.

I am not a lawyer. Your milage may vary. I've never done it myself. Don't try this while driving.

Showgear

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:31:03 PM »
From an amateur... I decided to change domain names and didn't realize all the ends and outs before I started the process so just be sure you got all you research done before you start.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

@Heidi--Yes, I have access to the files, i.e. text and images.
@Shawn--I can ask them about a copy of my database with the make and drop tables included in the sql file.
@Josh--I'm willing to spend some money. I'll check this out, and I won't swim without a lifeguard.
@Showgear--I plan to have backups too in case it gets ugly.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
I bet HostGator would walk you through getting things moved over.

I'd do as SPayne suggests in getting your files, the complete database, your theme files if modified, your image files, etc.  I do it slightly different, same results.

Collect your backed up files

upload them to hostgator including your database using wordpress.  Then you can change your name server (where your domain is held so it now points to your new host) or transfer your domain to host gator too.

Once everything is in place, and working right, get rid of your old service.   

Importing your list to aweber, from your autoresponder, I've not done.  aweber should be able to tell you the best way to make the switch.  You are giving both companies your business, I think they'd be a great help.  If you get stuck with transferring the wordpress part, let me know.  I've moved several.   Important part is getting all your files so the change can be made with everything intact.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Thank you, Heidi. You have been so helpful, and now you have laid out a plan that is easy for me to follow. Many, many thanks. Do you think at a month, tops, I could get it all going? I am excited to have more capabilities on my site.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »
Much less than a month.

Kiwimana

• Student
  • Its the kiwimana Buzz....
    • View Profile
    • kiwimana
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Hi,

I have just done the same thing and found this really useful:-

http://www.geekestateblog.com/diy-how-to-move-your-wordpress-database-to-a-new-host/

The rest of it can be done by exporting the site from the tool in WP admin (thats if you have access to that?  :))

I found I had to keep importing the same file several times to get all the photos and posts, I have moved to Host Gator after hearing all the good things from Jack and so far its working well.

Cheers...Gary

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
Thanks Gary. Looking into it now.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
The three line version is this:

- mysqldump the database on the old host and pipe it into the mysql command on your new host (you will probably have to ask the webhost to do this for you)
- If you are going to a new domain name, do a search and replace on every occurrence of your old domain in the .sql dump before uploading it.  If it is the same name you will have some issues with the login.. the new site will redirect you back to the old site until you change your DNS.
- copy everything under the wp-content directory to the new host

You might also want to compare your new and old wp-config files to see if there are any customizations in the old one (e.g. caching).

If you send those instructions to the Support people at your new host, they should know what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:00:02 PM by r00tbeer »

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
Do you think they'll be able to do this even if the old host will not release the database? They gave me some crap line about it "being an integrated system" that it can't be done. I've written to two higher ups and received one no answer and another pass the buck answer.  I'm pretty steamed about this company Ultimate Internet Bootcamp because they say they care about YOUR financial freedom when all they really care about their own financial freedom.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Mil, database is needed or cut and paste hundreds of posts and comments.  I can't believe they disabled the export function in wordpress dashboard. 

Possibly some kind of scraper tool, if someone is familiar with those.

Searching online for the company I find 2 kinds of people, those who are affiliates and say how great it is (often in their 1st month) or those complaining.

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
I've never used the built in export feature in Wordpress but it is tools and export.

If you can install new plugins I recommend WP-DB-Backup that will export your database. You can find it as "backup" in the tools menu. Then you'll get a text (sql) file that you can import with phpmyadmin from the cPanel on hostgator or another webhost.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers