December 14, 2017, 02:50:54 PM

Author Topic: Give the eBook away or not?  (Read 1654 times)

maverick

• Student
  • Shawn @ Managing The Money Wars
    • View Profile
    • Managing The Money Wars
    • Email
Give the eBook away or not?
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
My wife and I started a family finance blog "Managing The Money Wars".  I have written an eBook which is going to be a first in a series of books.  I am also planning on covering a good portion of the eBook in my blog posts.  The question I have is what are the pros and cons of giving the first ebook away for free, charging for it, or set up a give-away of some sort?  It will be a while before I do anything (I have to build up some readers first) but I wanted to develop a plan to move forward.  Thanks for your help!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
Re: Give the eBook away or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
Free books have a much larger reach. If it is the first in a series then this would be a great strategy. People can "try before they buy"

I would think you can convert at a much higher rate if you hook them on a free product
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »
Are you an authority or are you still building your authority?

If you're not an authority, I'd give the book away.

maverick

• Student
  • Shawn @ Managing The Money Wars
    • View Profile
    • Managing The Money Wars
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
@saveourskills
That is true, my plan has all along be to build on each one.  If I give the first one away, I can use it to build the readership and then charge after that.

@josh
That is a very good question.  I would not call myself an authority however, I do have a couple of degrees in many of the topics I discuss and am going to discuss in the books.  I would like to say I am building authority but what does it take to become an authority?  I will need to think on this.

two_OMind

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
Authority is a relationship that you have with the audience; you could know all there is to know in any area but if you lack a way to demonstrate this or have no proof of your efforts and experience, you have no authority.  Having personal experience in a subject is the best foundation for authority, but you must be able to demonstrate this in order for others to "buy in" to the idea of you as authority.  From where you are I would focus on this demonstration, both with your blog and by giving the eBook away.  This initial "value add" to your readership not only increases the rate at which your work is distributed (more people download free eBooks) but validates that you know what your talking about because you aren't in a hurry to get money, that can come later when people already know you offer value.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:10 PM »
Well said, two_OMind. That's exactly where I was going with my comment.

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
Personally I'd give it away for free, however they must sign up to your mailing list to get it. This is what I'm planning to do once I've put my eBook together as it gives you the option to upsell later after you've proven your worth.

I've read around on a few ways of doing this such as using Aweber or MailChimp and it looks fairly easy to setup. Just search Google for "Aweber eBook" to see what's needed.
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
Try to have only affiliate links in your e-book if you have links in it!
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers