January 21, 2018, 08:15:07 PM

Author Topic: Facebook penalizing 3rd party posting  (Read 1161 times)

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
Facebook penalizing 3rd party posting
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I first heard this on Podcast Answer Man Episode #256 and I decided to run a test for myself. I use "Add link to Facebook" add-on to auto post my blogs everyday at 10am. Well yesterday it auto posted a picture to Facebook and I watched it absolutely no attention. I deleted the post later that afternoon and re-posted it. I got more interaction from me manually posting the picture than when I auto posted. This is going to be a huge inconvenience to the people like myself, that work a normal job and can post these pictures at the times you want them posted.  >:(

Original story: Hubspot

What do you all think?
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

Richard

• Apprentice
  • Cheating Death and Fighting Communism
    • View Profile
    • BlueSheepdog.com
Re: Facebook penalizing 3rd party posting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
I hadn't listened to that podcast episode, but I could see how Facebook might do something like that.  However, you might want to do some additional testing.  I know that manually posting in the morning gets far less attention from my Facebook fans that my late afternoon/early evening posts.  So your test could be reflective of your fans/friends normal activity level, or it could be exactly what you say.

If you run any more tests, I would be curious to hear what you discover.

-Richard
Dad, husband, cop and defender of The Wall.  If you are interested in firearms, self defense, or police stuff, check out my websites BlueSheepdog.com and GunsHolstersAndGear.com.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
Re: Facebook penalizing 3rd party posting
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
Not a good example ;)

You posted at different times of day.

So if you used auto-post to post to your blog at 9 am in one test.

And you posted manually at 3 PM.... the 3 PM may be more popular simply because of the time of day it was posted.

I've also heard Facebook timeline is basically pushing popular posts off faster... so you have a smaller window of time to get those valuable interactions to make your post more popular and show up on more people's feed.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards