January 18, 2018, 03:24:29 PM

Author Topic: Google Analytics vs HostGator Analytics  (Read 2401 times)

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
Google Analytics vs HostGator Analytics
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:02:51 AM »
Google says im getting around 100 hits a day and host gator says im getting nearly 300... Whats the deal?
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Re: Google Analytics vs HostGator Analytics
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
I am seeing very much the same thing, although my numbers are lower :(

Even though the numbers are different, the "treads" are the same. Like pages that have the most views are consistent, but the numbers are way different.

I asked this same question a while back, here is the thread. http://theroadto100k.com/index.php?topic=651.0
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

azmatt

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
The Hostgator numbers will always be quite a bit higher and arn't worth much imo.

The google code tracks the number of visits to your page. One page on my wife's site might get 200 visits from 170 unique visitors on a good day. If I looked at the numbers in hostgator the figures would be over 1,000. The reason is Hostgator defines a "hit" as a file loading onto the screen so a single webpage will count as a hit, the amazon banner down the right hand side a hit, our graphic designers small ad a hit etc. One single page load might be worth 10 hits depending on the number and type of the elements on that page.

This reason here is why Alexa is such a help. I've seen people with Alexa rankings in the millions swear up and down they get a thousand hits a day. When you try to explain to them what the numbers mean the usual response is anger and denial.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
The Hostgator numbers will always be quite a bit higher and arn't worth much imo.

The google code tracks the number of visits to your page. One page on my wife's site might get 200 visits from 170 unique visitors on a good day. If I looked at the numbers in hostgator the figures would be over 1,000. The reason is Hostgator defines a "hit" as a file loading onto the screen so a single webpage will count as a hit, the amazon banner down the right hand side a hit, our graphic designers small ad a hit etc. One single page load might be worth 10 hits depending on the number and type of the elements on that page.

This reason here is why Alexa is such a help. I've seen people with Alexa rankings in the millions swear up and down they get a thousand hits a day. When you try to explain to them what the numbers mean the usual response is anger and denial.

Isn't alexa dependent on people who have the Alexa toolbar installed?

I don't know anyone that has the Alexa toolbar installed.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

azmatt

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »
I use it :)

It does use toolbar figures but I'm not sure that matters. I never said Alexa was perfect but it is by far the best open source method for determining the traffic of a website that doesn't belong to you.

Also, I'm an analytic junkie but most people aren't and Alexa is a great way for them to spend 3 seconds to know how their site is doing. My wife knows that if her site dips to 190k then she needs to get busy ;)

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
I've also read that Google Analytics disregards IP addresses of known web-crawlers so that they don't affect your stats. I'm not sure how true that is but it would make sense considering how many spiders are out there.
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation