December 14, 2017, 02:49:53 PM

Author Topic: Article writing course - suggestions please  (Read 1652 times)

spainter73

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Article writing course - suggestions please
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:08:45 PM »
I've come to realize I need a little help with writing. I am a wedding photographer who collects 1000 emails from bridal shows a year. Having read copyblogger and similar sites and can see some  formulas. I've looked at ebooks from www.menwithpens.ca/books. I've also seen online courses at damnfinewords.com. www.writelikefreddy.com  www.thewriterslife.com and I'm sure there are more.  I'm sure the prices are all over the board and how much of that is justified vs puff I don't know.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a training course on better blog and sales writing?

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Article writing course - suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
If you like copyblogger you may like the ebook Scorecard for Bloggers, Brian Clark is one of the authors, it is available on Problogger.  It includes a way to grade your posts so you know what areas to improve.  Too me though it was too much like taking an English class.  Good content, but work.
Sales copy is different, I don't like many of the courses I see about writing sales copy, since I don't like how they wrote their pitch, I'm not about to pay money to learn how to write like them.  Could be just me.
My favorite book over there is the 31 days to a better blog.  Have some fun doing a different challenge each day from writing an elevator pitch for your blog to promoting your posts, monitoring your niche, setting up an editorial calendar.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
Hire the writing out if it's not something you're good at.  You can hire authors very affordably at:

http://www.textbroker.com

You could setup an interview or something which they transcribe to make your book... or you provide them an outline or whatever and they can do it all. Or you can write the first draft and hire someone on text broker to fix it up and make it better.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »
I reference these every time I write a post:
Transition Words - https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/135/transw.html
Capitalization Rules - http://aitech.ac.jp/~ckelly/midi/help/caps.html

The capitalization rules one is for song titles, but it is the same for blog post titles.

Read "The New Oxford Guide to Writing."  I read that many years ago and need to review it.

As far as having a training course, I've found that just writing blog posts has improved my writing.  Sometimes I even remember to check the spelling!

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:05:36 PM »
I agree with Ben.

Writing is something that takes time to refine. I would definitley suggest you learn to do it yourself, but don't let it impede your progress.

Perhaps you aren't a writer. Try your hand at podcasting or doing video. 

As an aside, I've taught courses on writing and I still always forget the rules. Mechanics are important, but your primary goal is to get the idea across, not impress anyone with your knowlede of grammar.
Also, don't get caught up in the details. If you don't like a sentence, erase it and start over.

I don't know if that helps much, but hopefully you won't be stressing over a single line or a comma anymore.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
What has helped me, even though I was an English major in college, was having someone to edit my blog posts. I have the tendency to get ahead of myself and think the readers understand the ideas I'm incubating in my head. Having someone who can step back, be objective, and re-write has done me a lot of good. Is there someone in your circle that can do that?

Otherwise, some folks might relate to your style of writing and like it!

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
I am awful at writing and my wife is pretty good. She suggested that I make an outline before I start writing.

So for example if I want to write about setting up a grazing system for cattle I might do this:

• Intro
  • Make a plan
  • Acquire the correct tools
  • Check for animal performance
  • Check for pasture performance
  • Monitor, Adjust, Re-Plan

My writing is not where I want it to be, but it's improving. Hope that helps.
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.