January 19, 2018, 10:49:30 PM

Author Topic: Word of Mouth Networking  (Read 1302 times)

Zach

• Student
    • View Profile
    • My Sustainable Life
    • Email
Word of Mouth Networking
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:21:28 AM »
Question:

How do you start word of mouth networking and marketing when there appears to be no active network available to start with?

Back Story:

I'm running a podcast on sustainability.  For the past couple months I've been searching the internet to find forums, blogs, and other podcasts to openly comment, share ideas, and try and get my name out there.  The problem is that I can't find anything in this area that is active, or at the level I'm trying to communicate with.  Sustainability, at this point, is limited (as far as I can find) to corporate, government, or university (with universities limiting their talks to their own campuses) levels.  My goal is to bring sustainability to the individual.  After all, what good does creating a more sustainable world do if it is imposed by big corps, big government, and other higher ups if the general population isn't on board with their decisions?  I believe that sustainability should start with the individual and work up, not the other way around, and that is what I'm trying to share.

Plans so far:

I will be implementing a forum at some point in the near future, but I would like to have the traffic in place to allow for a successful community on the forum.  So how do I get the traffic?

I do not currently have the funds to allow for pay-per-click advertising or other paid advertising.

I'm working on creating a network with Twitter and Facebook, but so far have had very limited success.

Another Question:

I've considered that my field of view is too narrow, but I'm not sure how to get outside of the box here.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to start this word of mouth networking to increase traffic that is outside what I've already mentioned?

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Word of Mouth Networking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
2 things: Content, content, and content  ;)

First, you need to define what you mean by "sustainability." Is is bucket gardening? Homemade soap and paint? Something else? How-To's and call to actions are very important. What do you expect your forum members to talk about? It's your job to give them the subject matter and in order to do that, you're going to have to create content.

My goal is to turn my website into a brand. The inspiration was that I could not find much on the net that appealed to new and young fathers out there that didn't sound like they just replace the word "dad" from mommy blogs. It's all either common sense or maudlin, "be nice to your wife" crap. Ok, I'm nice to my wife. What now?

I have a  plan: first, I create content. creating content is 90% of what I do right now. Some days I write a post from the hip really quick because something is on my mind. Other days I work on longer posts that require some research. I would assume yours will require a bit of research on techniques, successes and failures, latest trends, etc.  Dude, it takes time.

Ok, so after I backfill my folder with works and works in progress, I work on my social networking. Twitter seems to be much more effective at reach than Facebook. You want more than your mom and your girlfriend listening to your band. I'd say about 10-20 minutes a day goes to social networking to find people who might like my content. Strangely, my site is aimed at men but I seem to get more traffic from women. Ok, so be it, I'll write what keeps the traffic coming.

When I get 100 facebook likes or 100 visitors/day, I'll start looking into both advertisers and buying traffic. I figure I'll have enough of a backlog of content by then that I'll look legitimate to an advertiser, rather than having 3 posts and 2 visits to brag about.

In the meantime, I'm going to print some Hats and Guns business cards to hand out and leave around some of my favorite retail stores (Not bulletin boards, diretly with the employees- networking).

That's how you build a following.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
If you can't find anything specifically in your topic, look for sibling topics. It that doesn't work, look for cousin topics.

Your niche may be big enough but your marketing net seems too small.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
I've had very good success networking with Twitter. I just did what Gary Vaynerchuk suggested. Find people in my niche, and when they tweet something interesting, reply back, retweet, or favorite it. I've "met" a lot of beekeepers that way. I also go to beekeeping and gardening websites every week, read their posts, and make comments. After a while, they'll come to know you, and like you.

I believe what Gary and Jack says is true. It's not about broadcasting your every article, a one-way street, but interaction. For me, Gary's books were instrumental in my understanding of that core value.

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
Question:

How do you start word of mouth networking and marketing when there appears to be no active network available to start with?

I'd start by adding a signature to your posts (in this forum, other forums, your email, etc.) that has a link to your site.  After reading your post, I was curious about what your content looked like, but...

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/