September 19, 2017, 07:30:43 AM

Author Topic: Getting Started with SMF  (Read 3117 times)

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
Getting Started with SMF
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
OK - I've installed SMF and I'm learning how it works - creating categories and doing test posts.

If anyone has any advice for the newbie's, I'd sure appreciate it.  I'm specifically looking for any plug ins that you have found particularly useful, and anything that shoudl be done first - where going back and trying to fix it later would be hard.

Thanks,

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Re: Getting Started with SMF
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
I would second that, I think the mods are woring on a board for forums. I hope anyway!
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

BillFoster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
Hi,
I found SMF to be easy to install, and easy to work with. One cannot ask for a better piece of software!
My only problem was removing 60 or so spam posts per day. You have to remove them one at a time. I had to lock my site out for new members. I tried two different password add-ons like Captcha and Not-Captcha, both had the "type the words" style spambot security. Neither helped. I will need to use a manual approval method only, I just haven't had time in the past few weeks to do so. It seemed like once the spammers found me it was a non-stop parade. With SMF, you can block by a name or IP address. The spammers were still logging on and posting 2-300 word rambles; most were from Poland. To stop it, I turned off all permissions. I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks and post any successes. I ask that you do the same.
Walking the road to 100k

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »
Antispam Verification Questions v1.02 for the newest version of smf (v2.0.2) will knock out all of the bots and a majority of the spammers.. older loads can use Bad Behavior mod to achieve the same thing.    Basically, it adds a couple of questions to the sign-up process that helps eliminate scripted attempts to sign up for your forum.  We were getting dozens of spammers a day until I did this.. now we're having almost zero problems.  Might give it a try and see if it works for you too.    The Antispam Verification Questions mod may already be loaded if you did a recent upgrade, for some reason I'm thinking it is included in v2.0.2.

"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country