January 19, 2018, 11:03:33 PM

Author Topic: Would a blog lose credibility?  (Read 2743 times)

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Would a blog lose credibility?
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
So, our goal is 100k, to basically have our blog/podcast/videos provide for us right? Let me run this by you guys, tell me what you think.

My blog is based on car repair, and the auto industry. If/when I can make this my primary income, do I lose credibility if I am not in the field turning wrenches? I feel like I would have to rely on information from other media for the newest car news. That is something I am not sure I am cool with.

Basically, how sustainable is a blog based on your career, if your plan is to make a career from your blog? I guess that would require some adaptation.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Re: Would a blog lose credibility?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
IMMEDIATELY after posting that, I thought, "maybe you should worry about making $1 first" :) I really am curious what you guys think.

Cheers
Charles

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
Charles,
I understand what you're saying.  I'm no expert but maybe you can still stay involved by working 1-2 days a week in the industry. It gives you new material and a second income.

Ymmv,

Joshuab

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it at all. By the time that were to happen, you'd have such a backlog of content and researched expretise that even if you weren't necessarily up to date with the current models, you could still fill volumes about 99.999% of the vehicles that are on the road. Or, as an entrepreneurial aside, maybe you start a side-niche talking about classic cars or something else.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Not with all that hands on experience you have. It's like being a chef, when I first started cooking, I had to do all the execution of the plates. As a chef, you have to write up the menu, test recipes, train the staff, yap on the phone to all the purveyors and customers, etc. I could still jump in and cook if I had to, but that wasn't my day to day anymore.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Not with all that hands on experience you have. It's like being a chef, when I first started cooking, I had to do all the execution of the plates. As a chef, you have to write up the menu, test recipes, train the staff, yap on the phone to all the purveyors and customers, etc. I could still jump in and cook if I had to, but that wasn't my day to day anymore.

That really put it into perspective!

Thanks guys. This is just another reason that I love this community! You guys really rock!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:03 AM »
You may want to occasionally do something to help highlight your expertise.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
You may want to occasionally do something to help highlight your expertise.

From the outside looking in, what would you want to see from an expert? To use UFAB's cooking reference, I think showing knife skills would demonstrate expertise. Am I overestimating that people know how to use a screw driver?

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
To use my cooking reference, everyone knows how to use a knife, but from my POV, they don't. They don't know how to choose a knife (they use the crappiest knives ever!!!), they don't keep them sharp (my mom actually thinks it's safer to use a dull knife), and their technique is unsafe and inefficient.

Probably the same with a screwdriver. I'm sure if you watched me using any tool you are familiar with, you'd wince. I've realized that what might be easy and natural to you and me isn't easy to others. We have to be the translators of our experience, in understandable terms, to the layperson. Hope that makes sense.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
To use my cooking reference, everyone knows how to use a knife, but from my POV, they don't. They don't know how to choose a knife (they use the crappiest knives ever!!!), they don't keep them sharp (my mom actually thinks it's safer to use a dull knife), and their technique is unsafe and inefficient.

Probably the same with a screwdriver. I'm sure if you watched me using any tool you are familiar with, you'd wince. I've realized that what might be easy and natural to you and me isn't easy to others. We have to be the translators of our experience, in understandable terms, to the layperson. Hope that makes sense.

You have been my hero the past 2 days! Funny how 2 jobs that are totally opposite, can relate so well!

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »
I agree, I wouldn't worry about it that much. The knowledge you have in the area will be notable.

I used to be an electrician, and moved over to the structured cabling side of the world. Even though I have been doing structured cabling for 12 years and was an electrician for around 8 years, people still call me an electrician. I still have knowledge of the electrical world and get questions from people all the time about something to do with electrical systems.

While I took my test on the 1998 electrical code, it changes every 3 years so when I give an answer most times I still have to check and make sure the NEC has not changed from what I used to know, if the calculations have changed, ect.

Mechanics im sure are the same way, vehicles change every year, while some things may be the same some may change. Some of the best mechanics I know are not working in a mechanics shop anymore, but I would not hesitate to ask them for advice. The bulk of the knowledge is there and that is the important part, and you would also have the knowledge to know where to find the answers to anything you didn't know or had to double check.

Hope that helps

Scott

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Spinning Wheels
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »
I agree with everyone here.

Something else to consider as an expert, you can take your knowledge and boil it down for non-mechanics. The more tips, tricks and pitfalls you offer the more your credibility will increase. And as those new technologies pop up, you can translate them for us :)
Handmade Spinning Wheels
www.overlandhandcraft.com

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
You have been my hero the past 2 days! Funny how 2 jobs that are totally opposite, can relate so well!
;D ;D ;D Thank you!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
Think of it this way. If your blog is so successful that you can quit your job obviously there are some people out there that are passionate advocates of what you are doing.

Another thing to note is when you get to the level jack is at the content finds you. You no longer have to seek it out.

-Nick

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!