January 21, 2018, 02:26:48 AM

Author Topic: professional PHP programmer  (Read 2063 times)

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
professional PHP programmer
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »
Guys,

I really don't have the time or desire to take on freelance projects, however if you have questions on building mobile apps, php programming, wordpress plugins, facebook connect, jquery, or any other web technology I'm happy to point you in the correct direction.

Also I know a lot of people in the space and can give you a solid recommendation should you need a pro.
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

jrace4fun

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: professional PHP programmer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »
Save Our Skills,

I need to be pointed in the right direction. I want a website like www.ratemyteacher.com. I would like the site to have an aviation design theme but as far as functionality I want it to be the same as ratemyteacher.

I am somewhat familiar with xhtml and css and have done some of my own websites in the past but I'm really looking for someone else to do this one for me. Please let me know if you know of anyone who may be interested in this project.

Jason

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
I did a quick search for open source software similar to this and wasn't able to come up with anything.

There are a few options you have.

First of all check out PLIGG http://pligg.com/  and see if you can leverage that project

I would search to see what  Drupal Modules that offer voting functionality and see who options you have there.

Buddy Press has a plugin that imitates digg style voting, however I don't know if that fits your business model.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-links/

Maybe take a look at reddit or digg and see if you can fit your business into that model of a site.

Also take a look at http://www.stackoverflow.com (a Q&A site for developers)

There are open source projects which imitate the functionality of this site. Where you can post questions and up/down vote answers to those questions.

http://www.osqa.net/  springs to mind as a front runner in this space

If it needs to function exactly like ratemyteacher then you might be looking at custom programming

So I'll challenge you a bit and say, how can you modify your business idea to fit an existing piece of software rather than write custom software to fit your idea.

Chew on that for a bit. Having custom software written "on the cheap" is still going to cost you at least $5,000 to get something of that level completed. If you did it through my work we would charge your $15,000 to $20,000 on the cheap side. Granted we are expensive, but the quality is much higher as we use very high, rigid coding standards.

Now if you like one of those open source projects and it fits your niche you can probably figure out how to skin it on your own, or you can probably pay to have it skinned.
To skin the software I'd use http://www.guru.com and limit the applicants to USA and Canada (just my own preference, I don't like working with russian's and indians)

Let me know what direction you end up steering towards.
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

jrace4fun

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
First and foremost I want to thank you for your last post; it had lots of good ideas and information. After reviewing all of the options I have chosen to go in the direction of a custom site.

I'm interested in getting an estimate on doing the php/MySQL development for my site.

My site is www.ratemycfi.net. What is a CFI? A cfi is a certificated flight instructor. Ratemycfi.net will be a data base / membership / ecommerce site for the aviation community where student pilots can rate their flight instructors in a number of areas of competency. Also, the site will provide the rating data to potential student pilots looking for an instructor. This in turn will help them choose a highly rated and competent flight instructor. Finally, the site will grow in the future to include a forum, merchandise shopping page, job forum, and other areas such as blogs and multi-media pages.

At this time I am only interested in getting the data bases designed and implemented on the site. I'm more concerned about the functionality of the site not the aesthetics at this point. I want the data to be accessible to the public but in order to enter data you will have to be a member of the site.

I have attached some example wire frames to this post. The UI is only an example and by all means can be changed to support the design of the data bases.

I look forward to hearing from you on this project.

Respectfully,

Jason Jones

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
Sorry for the long belated reply, however I'm not taking any new projects at this time as I am over -committed on my current workload as is.

My suggestion is to submit this to guru.com and limit your quotes to USA and Canada vendors
Save Our Skills

jrace4fun

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
No worries, I did request a quote on Guru.com and I have already got someone working on the development of the site. Thank you again for your insight.