October 21, 2017, 04:54:01 PM

Author Topic: Evernote... stop book marking and start capturing what you really wanted to know  (Read 2219 times)

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
I use evernote for doing research for podcasts/ personal projects/ you name it

You install the app on your mac or PC

then you use a hotkey (windows + a on a PC) 

So a scenario would be:

I'm on a website talking about growing potatoes vertically. I read an article. I can then either

A) highlight the entire article and hit windows +a

B) highlight just what i wanted to know and hit windows +a

Then in the evernote app i can drag this to my garden folder and/or tag it with keywords

hit the sync button and I can read it on my iPhone / iPad or computer

I can also make the entire folder a public website

Here is a quick example:
https://www.evernote.com/pub/ladieu/mushrooms

It also automatically adds the URL you clipped it from so there is your "bookmark"

If you don't want to install the app, the web interface is excellent and there are plugins for all major browsers including chrome (which is what i use)

ALSO if the content providers

* take down the page
* edit out pertinent information
* whatever...

it doesn't matter, you have your own copy frozen in time.

I'm not selling it or anything, but I think you will agree if you take the time to check it out, it is a great tool

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
I love evernote! Not sure if you know this or not but when you save your work, it can be easily accessed on your PC AND your other phones and tablets.
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

two_OMind

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think the plugin you mentioned was Evernote's "Web Clipper" which I find extremely convenient as it lets you clip highlighted text, just the article on most blog sites, or the whole page if desired.  Using the clipping function like you mentioned makes Evernote a great tool for David Allen's Getting Things Done, which is what I use it for.  I highly recommend anyone who is unfamiliar with GTD do a web search, though I'm no master GTD is extremely useful to anyone looking to organize themselves rather than relying on an employer imposing some system on them, which is a luxury entrepreneurs can't even enjoy.  There is also a decent amount of material on how to specifically use Evernote for GTD, though there are other tools available.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
The android app is super helpful too. Got an idea while you're driving? Tap audio note (on your home screen), spit it all out, tap done, and it will be on your computer when you get home.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
I think the plugin you mentioned was Evernote's "Web Clipper" which I find extremely convenient as it lets you clip highlighted text, just the article on most blog sites, or the whole page if desired.  Using the clipping function like you mentioned makes Evernote a great tool for David Allen's Getting Things Done, which is what I use it for.  I highly recommend anyone who is unfamiliar with GTD do a web search, though I'm no master GTD is extremely useful to anyone looking to organize themselves rather than relying on an employer imposing some system on them, which is a luxury entrepreneurs can't even enjoy.  There is also a decent amount of material on how to specifically use Evernote for GTD, though there are other tools available.

What systems other than evernote are you using for GTD? Right now I've downloaded and setup wunderlist

For family items I have shared google calendars with my wife. We have my calendar, her calendar, and our calendar

Then we use cozi for shopping lists and tasks we would like the spouse to complete... So cozi is our "inbox" for task requests for the spouse

WUnderlist being my main GTD

For email i use gmail and pretty much star my followups and archive everything else. If i need it i search for it

I use priority inbox and ignore anything below priority during hte day. Those are to be checked only twice per work day.

Your thoughts and inputs are appreciated. Always trying to hone the best system.

The audio note feature is something I need to use. I'm always thinking of shit while driving

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

two_OMind

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
For me, I use Evernote for almost everything GTD.  The "helper apps" I use are Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightening for Email (my website includes my mail server) and Calendering, and Sugarsync to have ubiquitous access (online, PC, and android phone similar to Dropbox) to files I have to keep outside of Evernote because they exceed its attachment size limit (such as portable apps, mind map files). 

With Evernote it really is that simple: All my contexts, Inbox, someday/maybe, and Archive (file system) exist in Evernote.  I mostly use Rudd Hein's model using tags, check boxes, and saved searches located here: http://ruudhein.com/evernote-gtd, but I personally have more than one notebook: 3 active notebooks in my "GTD" stack (an inbox, one for all my actionable items, and one for project support) and a separate "Archive" stack in which I create one notebook per topic, arranged alphabetically.

For files too large for Evernote I keep a GTD styled alphabetical archive, one folder per topic.

Since one can email notes to Evernote, I forward things I want to keep/ am waiting for to Evernote.

I don't share calendars, but there is a plugin that lets you sync your Lightening calendar(s) with Google if your interested.

I also don't have many tasks to share, and while Evernote allows you to share notebooks which could replace Cozi, though after looking at it I would keep using that as it's well designed for the task (Evernote's flexibility means some strategy/thinking would need to be employed to replicate what Cozi naturally helps you do).

Over Evernote's flexibility is great because you can use it almost exclusively and tweak your system for efficiency/taste but this flexibility also means it takes a little more effort to setup than other GTD specific tools.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Well heck. I just thought it was like a yellow sticky pad. Silly me. Thanks for the info, you guys.

Prepping101

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
I do love Evernote.  You might look at Omni Focus if you are on the Mac.  It is a great way to organize and it also sets reminders for you on projects.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
Thanks, I'm actually getting my "hackintosh" setup next month to do iPhone development.

I'll check out that program.

Also thanks for the comment on my blog.
-NIck
Save Our Skills