January 16, 2018, 02:51:34 PM

Author Topic: Episode-97- What We Can Learn From Parasitic Idiots Who Take Before They Give  (Read 3509 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Podcast for this thread is at http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-96-what-we-learn-from-parasitic-idiots-who-take-before-they-give

This weekend was one of the worst ever for getting self serving assclown emails.  I am pretty sure the exposure on Glenn Beck added to but I received a good half dozen emails between Friday and this morning from people asking for links, book reviews, etc on The Survival Podcast.   Each of these emails had some common threads.  They included...

1.  None of them demonstrated any understanding of my community, my website etc.  They simple said things like, "we are a good fit for you".

2.  None offered anything in return they simply wanted an endorsement link or to be featured.  No offer of a link back or to do an affiliate relationship, etc.  This is quite arrogant.  Not that I would have said yes if they did but I sure would have felt less "used" in the interaction.

3.  Each told me how great it would be for me, if I helped them because they were so awesome it would make me look good to promote their agenda.

4.  Each clearly wanted to take and give nothing back.

5.  None made an even remote attempt to establish any form of a relationship before asking for something.

One guy was even so arrogant he wanted me to review his book, this clown sent me a Amazon link so I could BUY IT.  Yea sure buddy I am going to spend my money to buy a book from a guy I've never heard of and recommend it to my community of 35,000 simply because you asked.  Really?  Today though while I rant on this stuff there is a much deeper lesson on how to choose good partners and how to be a good partner. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:30:28 AM by jackspirko »

kreindl

• Student
    • View Profile
I get emails quite often asking for links, seems like any site with a decent ranking will get requests.  I don't think out side of a link exchange anyone has ever offered anything more as you suggest.

Not nearly as insulting but I setup another microsite (thanks for the idea) and I surprised that with in a day of uploading a video to you tube that I had a comment come in.  Pretty sure it is spam to try to get a link on my site.  The positive is if people/computers looking for links are finding the site that quickly then I bet the search engines will as well.

Over all think that your input to have video podcasts on YouTube with good tags and to tie your site back into.   I'm cleaning up my other tags for youtube now that I've listened to your podcast:
http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-33-the-skinny-on-video-tags-for-youtube-and-other-video-websites

Thanks for the motivation and how to approach business relationships.
 Kinch

I think a podcast on remarketing campaigns would be helpful for those of us who have PPC campaigns.  I never found success with general banner ads but once I understood remarketing/retargeting to previous visitors of my site I setup the campaign that day.
The video I made is at RetargetingSEO.com soon to be RetargetingSEM.com.  If you want to do a podcast on the topic and I can help in any way let me know.  I'll be adding screen shots to the site as well.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Sounds like the author I bumped into on Facebook.  And after glancing at one of my sites he is (less than 60 seconds) after I sent link to my site which he asked for out of the blue, in chat, he is asking for a book review as it'll be good for my readers, they need it.  Dumbfounded that he asked, knowing nothing about him or his book, he knowing nothing about me or who reads that blog, I tell him I don't know him or his book and that I'm quite busy and not able to help right now. 

So he sends back in chat, to take my time and that if I'd just buy his book (gives me a link) I'll know all I need about him and his book to write a post for him.  That it has a pretty cover image and will look nice on my site.

I know several authors, and have done a couple of reviews for them, so I asked that group what their thoughts were.  Tacky is word most used.  Several said the dude doesn't have a publicist or that would never have happened.    Later I see him post in the Facebook group where he found me, giving advice to other authors on how to market their books, scary.  And that he doesn't have a publicist, he decided to wing it.  They were right.

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
BUY?? I used to be heavily involved in the new-age 'self-help' world and I reviewed a ton of books... all sent to me free by authors and publishing houses.  I finally donated most of them to our local library, which I can recognize about half of the shelf as my donations.   I kept some of the autographed ones, though..  ;)  I still get free books from a couple of publishers on country living topics, which I review and then give away. 
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

MT Knives

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • MT Knives
    • Email
Great Show Jack,

I sure hope I have never done this. I agree you have to earn someones respect, this means going the extra mile and bending over backward for your customers. That is crazy that someone wants a review and expects you to buy their product for the review! Their product must suck and they hope to sucker you into buying it.
www.mtknives.net www.simplycleansing.com MT Knives, be sharper than the rest!

monderno

• Apprentice
  • Brandon
    • View Profile
    • Monderno
    • Email
Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

haha

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
:D Hey I must start becoming successful, because I just got one of these :D

Check it out (links removed so as not to give them credit, but I wanted a good example of it).

"Hi there,

Are you still accepting guest posts?

We are looking for websites which accept guest blog posts/articles. We can supply the content, which will be 100% unique/informative and written by professional content writers.

All we would require in return is 1-2 links within the article body, or at the end of the article. We can also offer ongoing content if that is of interest.

If this could be of interest to you please let me know! We can get content over to you asap.

Many thanks,
[name omittied]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi [name omitted],

Yes, I am still accepting guest posts in the categories of personal development, lifestyle design, business, money, motivation and maybe relationships.  I always vet the content first and I only allow links to legitimate (non spamy) sources.  If you're a blogger or a content firm its fine as long as the content you're linking to is legitimate.  I also post a disclaimer that it is a guest post.

You can send me the article directly and if it's legitimate I will create an account so you can format it as you wish and then submit it for approval.

Thank you for the interest,
Jake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

====START
Critical Illness Insurance just as vital for the young

Critical Illness Insurance was originally created in South Africa by a world renowned heart surgeon in the 1980s. Dr Spammer grew frustrated at the number of his patients who came into the hospital who were suffering with real money worries, as a result of being off work for a long period fighting serious illnesses. He found that they were expending energy on money worries that they should have been using to get better and created the policy which is now sold around the world today.

Despite being sold worldwide and growing in popularity, it is primarily sold to older members of the public, and is overlooked by those in their late teens and twenties. Whilst cancer and other critical illness rates may be far lower in people of the younger age brackets, the cost of critical illness insurance in those brackets is also far lower, and we urge people of that age to consider how a policy can help them.

Sometimes you see firsthand the devastating consequences critical illnesses can have on life, and that is made worse in younger life. Whilst older generations may have life savings to fall back on to buy themselves the best care, treatment and indeed aids to help them live their lives, younger generations are often not so lucky.

That’s where critical illness insurance can really help. A patient who is diagnosed with a critical illness and who survives the survival period as set out by their insurance provider will be paid a lump sum payment. That payment can be used in anyway, either replacing lost income, paying for private medical treatment or for changes to the house to make life easier when you are at home.

At spammysitename.com we see there are so many benefits to having a lump sum injection of cash, with Dr Spammer's reasoning for creating the policy the most important. It simply removes the financial stress of a critical illness from the equation completely, allowing the patient to concentrate all of their efforts on getting better, and giving them the money to buy the tools they need to do that.

Critical Illnesses are not only for the old, and critical illness insurance shouldn’t be either. It can make a huge difference and that’s why we urge human beings of all ages, especially those younger ones not to over look such wonderful cover.

=====END
"

I figured I would post this as a nice example of what's out there for others getting these.  Still wondering how I'm going to respond.  Thinking about "I fail to see what value this post would provide my audience."

Thoughts?
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two words

outsourced india  ;)

kreindl

• Student
    • View Profile
Here was my first "comment" on my site that I thought was spam.   Just updated to add the rest of the comment.  And I tried to reply to their email address which bounced.

I know this if off topic but I am looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup? I...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:24:29 PM by kreindl »

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
My personal favorite tip off in a blog comment is

"Excellent article........."

Now that may not be the case for most people but as my blogs are actually holders of podcast show notes and no one would really see them as an article, well.  :D

Then there are these ones,

"This web blog is of an excellent resource, I will be bookmarking and returning to your web blog often, most excellent information here, thanks."

Generally this persons name is like discount auto insurance or something similar.  Akismet gets the majority of these but it is funny when one gets though to the approval cue. 

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
My favorite tip off is when they "compliment" your content without actually referencing your content... "I loved your article, I tend to agree with most of it but there is some I disagree with"

Then the link is to something .ru or with "best penis" in the title lol.

I basically responded with "this is web copy, not a blog post.  It gives no value to my audience.  Here's a podcast that might help"  And linked to this show. XD
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:33:34 PM by JakeR »
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
"This web blog is of an excellent resource, I will be bookmarking and returning to your web blog often, most excellent information here, thanks."

Ha ha, that's like 90% of my "spam" to my blog. Fortunately askimet very seldom lets this crap see the light of day
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
I love this episode.  Every time I get a human "guest post" request that has absolutely nothing to do with my niche, I send them this episode ;D
Resources I use.