January 19, 2018, 10:44:30 PM

Author Topic: Camera Ideas  (Read 4265 times)

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
Camera Ideas
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I am starting a site about backpacking/camping/hiking in my local area.

I need an inexpensive video camera that can handle the outdoor weather (rain, snow, cold, etc.).
I would like something light and compact with good battery life and easy download...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

joshuab ;D

monderno

• Apprentice
  • Brandon
    • View Profile
    • Monderno
    • Email
Re: Camera Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
What is your budget?

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
$300-$400?

monderno

• Apprentice
  • Brandon
    • View Profile
    • Monderno
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
Well for $400 you aren't going to get anything very rugged, but as long as you don't drop it down a mountain and keep it out of the drink you should be alright. Take a look at this pocket video camera from Kodak. It shoots 1080P video and 5 megapixel still images, though if you're going to use YouTube as a video host you don't need 1080P. For $400, you aren't going to get a great camera, but you can at least get something pretty functional, and this pocket camera is very packable.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/kodak-zi8-pocket-video/4505-6500_7-33740345.html

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
Thanks for the help Moderno  :D

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
I use a flip video HD. It's light and great picture quality
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
I use a flip video HD. It's light and great picture quality

I was going to make a similar suggestion: for $400, I would probably buy 4 $100 cameras-- and not care if one was broken or lost.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
I just picked up the Sony Handycam HDR-CX160.  Best Buy had it for 400 and from what I've tested it was the best option.  I'll test it some more and post again.  Here is a link on amazon for it (disclosure: it is my affiliate link, but I figured if I was going to post a link, it might as well be my affiliate link).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H8FN8U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=survivalstore08-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004H8FN8U
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

danzaland

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
Is anybody using their Smartphone cameras for their video work? IN a bootstrapping sense I have thought about moving up to a smartphone with decent video quality. Something like an iPhone or the Droid Razor. I've been trying to research the phones and look at posted youtube videos from each.

Your 2 cents?

toptec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Experience Homesteading
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
If the new I Phone's camera is what they claim it should work (I haven't experienced it).  I have a droid 2 and used it once in a pinch, although I wouldn't rely on it.  The biggest drawback I see is you have to find a way to mount them.  There is nothing worse than the picture bouncing all over or camera shake.
www.experiencehomesteading.com  A self-sufficient lifestyle journey

Societus

• Student
  • Digital Dominance is Simple Evidence
    • ICQ Messenger - 101113936
    • MSN Messenger - mightyfalcon11@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FalconEternal31
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oneandonlyremixer
    • View Profile
    • Society Tomorrow - Starting with One
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
The trade-off you take when getting a low cost camera is two-fold. HD camcorders like the Flip Ultra HD sell for only $150, but with all those extra pixels you have far more noticeable camera shake. You also have to consider the throughput of the video stream. For example the Ultra HD vs. a mid to high end Canon or Sony HD both put out 720 p video, but the Canon video stream will be twice as large, and result in a crisper, more professional video. Many better cameras also have better image stabilization, which especially if being used  on the move will make or break your image. t you're willing to put a little more cash into a camera, go get a Canon Vixia HF-M300 at $549, it's not too far off. Albeit expensive, that can also fit their waterproof case as well.

IndependentJo

• Student
  • Walk with me to self sufficency.
    • View Profile
    • IndependentJo
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 07:21:46 AM »
With a $400 budget I would use a iPhone 4s (1080p and great image quality) or one of the new iPod Touch devices. You get a whole lot of bang for your buck with video and image quality with these devices plus a whole lot more. They work great for travel and have tons of very protective cases.

Nobody thinks to use these but they actually work very well and you can attachments that allow you to place the iPhone or iPod Touch onto a tripod!

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
With a $400 budget I would use a iPhone 4s (1080p and great image quality) or one of the new iPod Touch devices. You get a whole lot of bang for your buck with video and image quality with these devices plus a whole lot more. They work great for travel and have tons of very protective cases.

Nobody thinks to use these but they actually work very well and you can attachments that allow you to place the iPhone or iPod Touch onto a tripod!
IndependentJo,

The iPhone is good idea. I have the 4 (no 1080p) but that's okay.
I also use my iPhone to record all my podcasts.

Thanks,

Joshuab

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
I'm VERY impressed with the quality of the output from my iPhone 4S camera-- the ONLY downside is that it doesn't have an optical zoom. There are $100-200 cameras out there that have nearly the same quality but don't lack the zoom.

For stationary podcasts (talking head stuff) I recommend looking for an HD webcam-- I use the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema 720p that I got for $29 on sale at Amazon a couple years ago (I bought 3 of them.) Very good quality and so cheap you can afford to do multi-camera shoots! I would provide a link, but the sale is no longer going (they are now running closer to $50) and so linking to amazon would seem spammy to me. Just google LifeCam HD or LifeCam Cinema.

Lotitech makes really good webcams as well. As long as it has decent optics and is 720p or 1080p it's tough to go wrong, so just go by price.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
I recorded a video on my iphone 4 and uploaded it to youtube, but the whole video was sideways (90 degrees off).  I tried to rotate it in Youtube's "edit video," but it didn't work for some reason.

I then tried to rotate it in Vegas and upload it to youtube - this time it was facing the right direction but it was a small box inside a big black box!

Anyone have a quick link to how you are supposed to go from iphone video camera to youtube?