January 19, 2018, 10:42:34 PM

Author Topic: Video: It's not as hard as you think!  (Read 2265 times)

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
Video: It's not as hard as you think!
« on: December 15, 2011, 09:53:36 PM »
If nobody else is going to break in the video forum, I guess I'll have to do it. :)

I think Forgotten Weapons is a bit unusual among this group because I have lots of written content and also a bunch of videos, but no audio-only. The stuff we cover just doesn't fit well in an audio format - you have to see it. I have started doing quite a bit of video work, and have not had to put much capital into it - and you don't have to either.

I started with a very basic Flip Video camera, and continue to use it a fair bit even though I have a fancier second camera now. The Flip I started with is this one, which you can get for $99 off Amazon (like how I snuck my Amazon affiliate link in there? ;) ). It's a really simple camera - you can start and stop recording, and zoom in and out. Other than having playback capacity built in, that's all you can do with it. But that's all you need most of the time, and it also has a built-in USB plug, so there are no cables to keep track of. It's very convenient to carry around in a pocket, and I sometimes set it up downrange to record bullets hitting a target - if I accidentally destroy it, it's not a huge loss.

Here's an example of a video I did with this camera and minimal editing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m1Vo8ZWpBU

Speaking of editing, I use an old version of Pinnacle Studio, but I've spoken with a couple other amateur videographers who have great results with just Microsoft Movie Maker (which comes free with Windows). You don't need and fancy effects for a good video, just good cutting and pasting. I still don't take advantage of most of the features available in Pinnacle Studio - just a couple blends to transition between clips and still title frames. The most important thing is to have quality content, I think - people will happily watch interesting stuff with amateur production value instead of Hollywood-quality boring crap (movie theater experience notwithstanding).

If you are waffling about adding video to your site, just jump in and do it! The $100 is a minimal startup cost, and you'll be surprised at how many opportunities for video content appear to you once you start carrying a camera. And, it lets you community see your face, which I think helps develop a bond much more effectively than just text blogging.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:57:51 PM by Ian »

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Video: It's not as hard as you think!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »
I agree. It seems much worse than it is. I don't know anything about the Windows software, but iMovie is a breeze to use. And there are tons of tutorials on YouTube.

michael russell

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
Best thing I did for my video was to buy a "britek Fluorescent light softbox". Mine has 4 DAYLIGHT bulbs so they dont get hot, uses little energy and I can control how many bulbs to turn on. I think I paid $150 (7yrs ago) for the whole assembly. I've done a few small video jobs and they are easy to carry & setup. One could just buy the bulbs ($25) and stick them in a lamp stand, on the cheap.... make sure they are "Daylight" (similar to sunlight color output) bulbs.

toptec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Experience Homesteading
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
For video editing I use AVS Video Editor ($59).  I think it is fairly easy to use, but may not be for beginners. :-\
www.experiencehomesteading.com  A self-sufficient lifestyle journey

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
On MacOS 99% of users will be happy with iMovie.

On Windows Vista/7 95% of users will be fine with Windows Movie Maker (despite the out-dated bad reputation from back in the XP days)

If you're going to spend money...  (you should at least try the two free options above first)

I would try Adobe Premier Elements, and Jack Recommends Sony Vegas.

Disclosure: I work at Adobe, so I'm a bit biased towards Premier.)
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »
How did you guys capture your personality on video? I've done a couple videos and it just doesn't seem like me! I am more fun and jokey, but on the video I seem like a mannequin! Any suggestions? What do you guys do or does it just come with time and experience?

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »
1. Do a bunch of videos with no intention of publishing them. Go through the whole process of editing them. Get so used to the technology that it's second nature. Some people are distracted by worry about the "system".

2. People don't want to do more work than they have to. If you have someone on your site, they are there to find an answer. They want you to have that answer. They want you to succeed. Remember that. (I think that's originally Seth Godin's)

3. Listen to whatever music gets you pumped up. I prefer Indestructible by Disturbed. "You are living the fight of your life" is a hard line to beat.

4. 10 oz Coca-Cola. 2 oz Jack Daniels. Over ice. Gently stirred.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »
Thank you, Josh. All excellent suggestions.

1) I shot some video yesterday and I will just edit 'em with no intention of publishing.
2) Good reminder.
3) Hmmm...I might have to listen to Henry Rollins or something, but if my partner is around, is has to be opera... ;)
4) I thought about something like that, but thought I would just fall asleep. :)

It sounds like it is just practice. I remember when I first started cooking professionally, I was scared for the first 2 years. Now, it's like wearing a comfortable old sweater.

~Mil

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Safety Solutions Academy Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
1. Do a bunch of videos with no intention of publishing them. Go through the whole process of editing them. Get so used to the technology that it's second nature. Some people are distracted by worry about the "system".

2. People don't want to do more work than they have to. If you have someone on your site, they are there to find an answer. They want you to have that answer. They want you to succeed. Remember that. (I think that's originally Seth Godin's)

3. Listen to whatever music gets you pumped up. I prefer Indestructible by Disturbed. "You are living the fight of your life" is a hard line to beat.

4. 10 oz Coca-Cola. 2 oz Jack Daniels. Over ice. Gently stirred.

#4 is golden.  I think it needs to be taken braoder than have a drink.  Do what ever you need to do to get comfortable.  I recently had an interview scheduled.  Had to wait about an hour for the interview.  I told one of the other guys there, to make sure my interview didn't leave.  I went and grabbed a six pack.  By the time hew was wrapped up with his previous appt he was on his second beer.  it was the most candid interview I have heard with this individual and I'm glad I spent the 15s buck on the beer.  It took the edge off for both of us.

I have several video projects to take care of at the range this weekend, I'm gonna have to save #4 for the editing phase... ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:09:07 AM by Paul_SSA »
www.SafetySolutionsAcademy.com

Safety Solutions Academy:  Saving lives through information, education and training.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »
I like the idea that Jack said where you talk like you're explaining something to a friend. I have kept that in mind lately and that really helps. But you've reminded me that I might be able to put my homemade apple cider to good use.