January 19, 2018, 11:01:22 PM

Author Topic: Etiquette in asking for reviews  (Read 1607 times)

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Etiquette in asking for reviews
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Anyone else think this is tacky?

On Facebook chat an author said hi to me one day (welcoming me to a group a friend placed me in-not group's admin or anything).  Couple days later he asks if I blog, yes, then could I write a review of his book, as he feels it is a topic of great concern to my audience (90 seconds after glancing at my blog).  I told him I've done reviews before, showing an example.  But that I'm quite busy right now, and don't know anything about him or his book, check back in a few weeks.  He quickly sends me his amazon link, social media links, and suggests that I buy his book so I'll know enough about him and his book to write about it. 

To me that is tacky.  I'm busy, don't know the dude.  Told him that.  Buying his book and taking the time to read the whole thing, on a subject I'm not particularly  interested in (finding a job), so I can promote him and his book isn't high on my priority list. 

I've written about books I've read freely.  Some the author has sent me a copy or ebook version.  Others I found and enjoyed on my own. 

I've done reviews of things freely sent to me.  No strings attached.

He may be a nice guy otherwise with a great book, or a lousy one.  Either way, I respect my time and will never know.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Re: Etiquette in asking for reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »
I would be annoyed! Especially if I didn't know the guy until 30 seconds ago. What's in the words social media that he doesn't get? If he's going to blow off your situation and request, I think it's a good reason to blow him off. >:( >:( >:(

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
If they are not willing to send you a free copy to base a review off of to me it sounds like they are just trying to get sales and a free review at the same time. That's a win for them, and I agree it's tacky the way they approached you, but we are all trying to make money so if you can get someone to buy your product to give a free review about, it's worth a try.

I would probably blow them off, let them learn from their mistakes  ;)

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
I have several author friends with published books.  I ran his request by them. 

"Totally tacky!!! He obviously doesn't have a publicist or have any type of real marketing and promotions plan for his book."   

"Completely! He needs some guidance."

"When I was approached by a New York Times best seller (Andrew Blechman, Leisureville) for my New Urban Mom blog he most certainly didn't ask me to buy the book! The book was sent to me within a couple days of his call to me and on top of that he allowed me to interview him for my podcast. After that I did a very thorough review that included our podcast chat. I think that's the way it normally done."

"As a frequent receiver of books via WE Magazine for women, it would never occur to me to purchase a book from a total stranger (someone I don't know, have not met, or even heard of). If someone wants a book review from ANYONE and they are soliciting the review, the least he or she can do is send a copy! Obviously that guy does not have a publicist or anyone who could guide him If he did, that would never have happened. "

"you might want to write about what it takes to get a book review on your site and then when anyone does solicit you, send them to the link. I did that and it became a huge time-saver. I simply send them the link which outlines our "rules" and then if someone wants to send a book to me, they know what to expect."

OK, he may be a total jerk or simply an uninformed guy in dire need of a publicist trying to market his book. The Facebook group where he found me is one with more authors and they often do book reviews for each other.  Still I agree, he isn't getting social media, doesn't have a publicist, needs guidance.

No need to beat him up.  I'll simply write a post about the right way to ask for a review and send him the link.  He'll either listen and learn something valuable, or he'll get mad, in which case is a jerk and not worth my time.   And having a page up informing newbies what to expect if they want a review is also a great point. 

When I did a book review for Donna Cutting, it was handled by a friend of mine who works with authors on getting the word out.  I was asked if I wanted to participate, sent a copy of the book, emailed a choice of images to use, several questions and answers and that I could write my own questions for Donna to answer.  I did both.  Easy post to write, I enjoyed her book.  I took a picture of me and her book and created a thank you card and mailed it to her. 

Donna runs a first class business.  She sent me a gift card, asked permission and posted the image from the greeting card on her blog (send her a copy so she didn't have to scan) and encouraged others to check out my greeting card system, ran a contest where other readers could send her pictures and and reviews of her site, giving out more gift cards.

My review of Donna's book:  http://www.connectsimply.com/blog/treat-your-clients-like-celebrities/

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »
Thanks for all the info on the folks who have done this before, i.e. the classy why to ask for a review.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Update:  I've not talked to him since, but I did get a message a couple days later with a link to a ebook version on Amazon, which he made free for a couple of days and sent to others.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Maybe he listened to Jack's episode about takers and realized the error of his ways!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
Not sure he came over here, but many of the Facebook authors in the private group I belong to are friends of his in the other group, and he gave us all links to the free ebook.