January 18, 2018, 03:38:11 PM

Author Topic: Episode-94- Being and Employee is not a Natural State for Human Being  (Read 3497 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
The podcast for this thread is at http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-94-being-and-employee-is-not-a-natural-state-for-human-being

I have a special and hopefully a motivational message for you today, I want to talk to you about why human beings are not meant to be employed.  I am not saying we are not meant to work or have what some might call, "gainful employment". What I actually mean is humans are not designed to take on a subservient role with another person telling them how to live and how to make their decisions.  Employment in many ways is nothing more than a modern and slightly enlightened form of slavery.

At one time almost all people were entrepreneurs.  Even if they "showed up for work" via some sort of organization they worked when they chose, for who they chose and in a manner in which they felt they were fairly compensated.  If not they went back to their homes and worked for themselves.  The priority was food, shelter and family.  If you had that you had wealth and had it in abundance.  Now I am not suggesting we regress to that lifestyle but we can learn from it.

plumber4200

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Bluetooth Car Stereo Reviews
    • Email
Re: Episode-94- Being and Employee is not a Natural State for Human Being
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
Jack, this truly strikes home for me today.  After having my own plumbing company for 12 years I have finally thrown in the towel (temporarily) and gone to work for another company as their licensed plumber, giving them the ability to develop a plumbing division. It has been the most demeaning, humbling experience of my life.  I made it through the bust here in Raleigh...barely as I was primarily a renovation/remodeling/new home plumber and was starting, through internet marketing channels to come out the other side and develop a service based business, but admittedly since there are 1100 licensed plumbers in Raleigh and they all are trying to do the same thing I knew it would be an uphill battle. I was on the first page of google for 2 keywords that are major in Raleigh after just 2 months live (content, content, content) and  I had just paid off all my vendors and the fed and state government of 2 years of back payroll taxes ( a bunch of my builders defaulted on me and it took me 2 years to pay off that debt without losing my house!) when I was given this opportunity.
I call it an opportunity because:
1.  I am heavily into affiliate marketing and I can now use my nights and weekends to build more sites.
2.  I am making a "huge" salary and my wife is ecstatic that i no longer have to threaten builders with leins and ass whippings to get paid
3.  We will now have the time and money to get my florida plumbing license to relocate to the beach between ft. meyers and sarasota.
4.  I gave the employer 2 years with an option for me to have 50% ownership if I want it
5.  Florida is my stop to geo arbitrage where hopefully with enough niche sites and 2 main sites similar to TSP in style if not content,  i will be able to live in bali, phillipines, belize...wherever I would like
OR to take  2years and get the preps in order with a  paid for piece of land off the grid in south west florida.

Here is the problem...I did not fail...I could have made it....but now my life is not my own.
I have not experienced this since I was 28 years old and it is HARD...it goes against every fiber of my being and even though I get paid well, I am so depressed by this job. I went to work for a company that has the largest marketshare in the world in a plumbing related industry and the owner of the franchise still thinks direct mail is a happening marketing strategy.  If i had had his amount of recurring customers and his brand I would literally own an island and be gone by now.  It is so frustrating to talk about business with a guy who listens to PPC gurus and has no idea what "organic" rankins are.  I am so angry most of the day that this guy wants me to be another monkey in my plumbing truck instead of letting me help him build a business.  With his money and a little time it would be easy.   My wife and father do not understand.  My dad managed 4300 people at one of the largest Caterpillar plants in the world and my wife works for  one of the largest YMCA associations in the world...they are used to being told what to do. 

I hope all of your listeners that are in the same boat as I am realize that the "road" and "tsp" give us the answers.  Use your time to create websites, blogs, businesses that are geo location independent, bring passive income and get hardcore with it.  You did it and after 3 0r 4 years you are truly free.  You have given me hope my friend. 

You have helped me get out of being a total republican to a libertarian with a small L, helped me understand the 13 tenets of liberty and after spending $12000 on internet marketing "gurus" you have solidified my understanding of how many channels of internet marketing you can use to make income!  You just make me feel really stupid...ha, ha!  Actually that is true.

God (or deity) bless you.  Patrick

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:56:25 PM »
Hi Plumber,
Just read your story, and I feel for you. The last 40 hour job I had was, at the end, terrible and hard to go to in the mornings.  I worked for a high end restaurant, and when the economy went South, so did the business. It was hard to see all the owners and my immediate boss fighting, trying to maintain the business, and then pretend, to the rest of us, everything was ok.  I then had to make all this food that I hated serving because it just wasn't up to my standards and then, still, charge an arm, leg, and butt for it all.

Glad you have started your own sites and I know you will find your freedom in time.

Cpr

• Student
  • Come as you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
Jack
I loved your podcast #94. I am currently an employee (paid slave) but i am determined to make it out by September this year! i have applied many of your suggestions, and what do you know they work. As long as I don't screw something up. Keep motivating us Jack. I grew up with a father who was his own boss and he taught me to never let anyone control your future. I tried the working for a large company for good money but it stinks. I want my life back and am determined to get it back. With two young childrenand a wife that I love being with, They are my main motivators to success and freedom. And if I start to loose momentum, I listen to "cat's in the cradle" by Harry Chapin. That gets me fired up get the H... out of employee slavery.
My site has just started seeing an income after 4 months of hard work and listening to your advice.
One thing i can add that has made an improvement in my traffic is using taget keywords to Title my photos.
I have to say TSP is great but I love the fire you throw into these gorilla podcasts!
PS
Your father sounds like and awesome guy. Episode 95
"There's room at the top they are telling you still. But first you must learn to smile as you kill, if you want to be like the folks on the hill. A working class hero is something to be." J Lennon

plumber4200

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Bluetooth Car Stereo Reviews
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »
Thanks UFAB!  You know, i really don't have it that bad:)  I have to say that I admire chefs and cooks. I love to watch cooking shows but to be honest I am horrible...luckily my wife is excellent.  I have high respect for people that can make great dishes!  thanks for the comment.  Later..pat

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Pat,
That's funny, I admire plumbers, electricians, and carpenters. I wish I knew how to do that stuff! Anyway, glad to hear that you have a positive attitude too. I'm sure you're on your way to 100k.

Mil

msharman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Sum of Business
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
Jack,

Great podcast... I have gone and listened to this a few times and recommended it to some friends. It isn't often I come across someone who can articulate in words what I am feeling in my soul. This was one of the episodes of yours that really lit a fire for me to go out and try to build something of my own. I recently started an accounting business and business management and accounting blog and am working out of my home. The biggest difference between being an employee and owning my own business is that feeling when I get up in the morning... I haven't had that feeling since I was a kid! The feeling I get is just being content. I am not tired, upset, wishing I didn't have to go do something I didn't want to do. The funny thing is I am still doing a lot of the same work I was doing, but the difference comes in when I realize that I am building into my family's future. I am working harder than ever and enjoying it more than I ever have before!

Thanks for this podcast!

Mark
http://TheSumOfBusiness.com/ and http://CrossroadsAccountingLLC.com/
Let me know if you have any accounting or business finance questions and I would be happy to help you out!