January 21, 2018, 02:35:32 AM

Author Topic: How to Price Ads  (Read 2300 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
How to Price Ads
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I am looking to place ads on both of my sites. I am not sure how to price them. I have decided I want to do 4 125x125 banners on the right column. And then somehow I want to sell a 468x60 ad on the bottom of each post. I'm just not sure how to do that and price accordingly.

The 125's will be monthly and the large banner will be a perminate ad, so not sure how to do it.
Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: How to Price Ads
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »
Check out http://buysellads.com/

I don't have any experience with them but it seems like a great way to run on site advertising.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:14:58 AM »
The ad on the bottom of the post would be fairly useless for clicks (but I expect it'll get more sales.)

Therefore the price on it would have to be REALLY low.  Even though it's more real estate in pixels it is below the fold, and below the content so it's going to be missed by 80% of the web surfers.  You can run a heat map and tell really easy...

http://www.crazyegg.com
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »
I went ahead and put the ad space on my sites, I also put an advertisers page up. I put last months stats, and set a price of $20 for a 125x125 pixel ad that will run for a month. It will rotate through the 4 spots.

So far I have had minimal interest with no official sales. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

Cesar

• Student
  • http://geocachefamily.com
    • View Profile
    • Geocaching Family
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
I have started to experiment with crankyads.com. No results yet, but I will report back when I do.

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Ok here's a list of problems I see:

1. Your site is still too new
7800 page views means what 2500 visitors? 3000 visitors?

That's not very many visitors considering my button would probably get a less than 1% click through. If it got 1% i might be lucky to get 1 click a day from your site.  Is that worth my $20?

Personally I'd want to actually SEE stats. I'd definitely want more details than what you posted. I'd want to do some research. I know a lot of stats especially page views can be easily faked. You could put a 1 pixel iframe into another site... or a popunder ad or whatever to inflate your page views.

2. You're taking a passive approach to selling ads

You're posting an ad for people to come buy ads from you (it isn't even a animated ad so no one even sees it, and the colors aren't shocking enough to make people see it either. it's too plain.)

So the only people who might buy ads from you are people who already are aware of your site.  1 of your 2500 visitors... How many of those 2500 even have a web site or product to sell on your site?

You need to be more aggressive and out there targeting people to advertise with you.  Go find potential sponsors or web sites. Invite them to advertise with you. Invite them to buy 6 months of advertising so they can grow with your site and get the benefit of getting in cheap now.

3. your theme/design sucks for advertisers

What is the point of that big giant picture? It looks "pretty" but pretty sites usually don't make any money. You're content is pushed down the page, what 300 or 400 pixels?

On my laptop your 125x125 ad doesn't even show on the first page. I have to scroll down to see it. 

If your point to make money from your site by selling ads then you want the ads to be very conspicuous.  You want to put ads in prime screen real estate where they can be seen most often and clicked most often. That's what your advertisers are paying for.  Don't use pretty pictures that take up a large amount of the screen and move the banners down.  If you only have a giant monitor to view things on try resetting your graphics down to view the site so you can see what it looks like on smaller monitors. There are also web sites you can try that will show you what your web site looks like on different monitors/web browsers. You need to try your site so you can see what your users see.  If you're using Google analytics they will also tell you how many of your viewers are on mobile, what screen resolutions they use, etc.

You need to make sure your ads get seen... and not hide them.

4. Generally speaking ad sales seems like a great get rich quick scheme.. but you need to develop a site first to benefit from ad sales. Your site is still tiny. Advertising networks that would help you sell ads won't even consider your site because it's too small. That should be a sign to you that advertisers won't want to advertise with you yet.

You need to develop your site... develop your audience. Generate a lot more subscribers... and then go the advertising route.

I might not even SHOW ads at all on my site yet. I would focus on getting subscribers and add in position to sell ads / show ads later.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
Great info, Ben. Hard hitting, but it needs to be said. Thanks.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
Wow, thanks Ben that is some good advice. I do understand that my site is very small. I Amy be asking way too much price wise. I am considering doing something else untill I grow more. I just really wish I was making something from the site.

I have another queston.
Is there a way I can track how many clicks an ad gets? I would like to be able to know myself what traffic I am sending the sites.

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

Pirate96

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
I think that is going to have to come from the advertisers unless you have some code that is capturing clicks. They will pay attention to how much traffic you are sending them.

I m sure an expert can give you better know how to capture it.

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »
Wow, thanks Ben that is some good advice. I do understand that my site is very small. I Amy be asking way too much price wise. I am considering doing something else untill I grow more. I just really wish I was making something from the site.

I have another queston.
Is there a way I can track how many clicks an ad gets? I would like to be able to know myself what traffic I am sending the sites.

Thanks
Look into the plugin called 'Pretty Link Lite' You set up a pretty link and can configure Pretty Link to track how many clicks the link gets.

Joshuab

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

Honestly I don't think $20 is too much for an ad. $20 is the price point where people will just buy one to try it out.  But you need a bigger audience or people won't stick around and come back to buy an ad again next month.

It's like building a community. You want to build the audience first before you launch the forum. You want to build your reader base for your blog before you start selling advertisements.

My old soccer web site (1998-2000) did like 30,000 visitors a month and 90,000 page views. Back then that was a lot and I still had a hard time selling banner ads on it. You need a lot more traffic to start selling ads.

I have another queston.

Yes there are ways... You can install banner ad tracking software on your site.  There are wordpress plugins that do this.  When I sold banner ads on my business blog I used a plugin called "Max Banner Ads".  However I found that this plugin slowed down my site a bunch and wasn't worth it so I uninstalled it.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards