January 19, 2018, 10:49:50 PM

Author Topic: Amazon Associate Conversions  (Read 2479 times)

TomH

• Apprentice
  • Insert motivational statement here
    • View Profile
    • Single Chopstick
Amazon Associate Conversions
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
Howdy,

I've been adding amazon affiliate images and links to books and products that I use in gardening and beer related things. I've had a over 100 clicks but no conversions. Are there techniques or ideas on capitalizing on clicks. I must not being doing a very good job pre-selling the product. I have been showing the image only or just the link. I don't like to show the price. I think it detracts from my plain and simple site decor. What ratio have y'all seen for conversion to click?

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
Re: Amazon Associate Conversions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
Howdy,

I've been adding amazon affiliate images and links to books and products that I use in gardening and beer related things. I've had a over 100 clicks but no conversions. Are there techniques or ideas on capitalizing on clicks. I must not being doing a very good job pre-selling the product. I have been showing the image only or just the link. I don't like to show the price. I think it detracts from my plain and simple site decor. What ratio have y'all seen for conversion to click?

You are well within a small enough number of clicks that you can't yet measure conversion in a statistically valid way. A 2-3% conversion rate is typical across my sites, but it's common to have a span of 500 clicks that has no orders, or a span of 500 clicks that has 10 or even 20 orders.

That said, if you have built trust with your readers over time and you are passionate about what you're linking to (and that passion comes through) then your conversions will be good. A lack of either trust or passion will adversely impact conversion.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
Do you also do product reviews or is it a stand-alone widget? I've been doing book reviews weekly for a while now. I just checked my amazon affiliate and out of 60 clicks, I had 3 buys.

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »
FWIW, February was my best month yet and I had 17 purchased out of 268 clicks (6.34%). January was 4 purchases on 160 clicks (2.50%). I'm starting to experiemtn with different books to review and different approaches to doing the reviews - I think I need to focus on more fiction and less reference material.

TomH

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Single Chopstick
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »
I've been embedding Amazon images and links in my posts and referencing them in my post as a "support the site, click on the image or link to get more info on Amazon". I haven't installed a specific widget or scroller, just simple clean images and links. I think for the people skimming the site, they don't know it's a Amazon link. They might just think it's a regular image.

I like the idea of having a specific page with all the products and books on it. Kind of a "one stop shop" for what I use and reference. How's it working for y'all?

Rehovoth

• Apprentice
  • Cognitive Dissonance Dampener
    • View Profile
    • Practical Permaculture to Craft a Better Life
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
I like the idea of having a specific page with all the products and books on it. Kind of a "one stop shop" for what I use and reference. How's it working for y'all?
I think you should do both: link in your posts and have a resources section.
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're not." - Adapted from Yogi Berra

The Permaculture Life - Enhancing Self-Security Though Practical Permaculture

TomH

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Single Chopstick
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
I made $0.79 through my Amazon Associate account. I'm excited that gives me an idea of my target audience. All be it only one data point but it's a start. Thanks for all the info y'all have provided.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
I generally get a $25 gift certificate every other month.

It really ebs and flows. A good book review can generate decent conversion

I've also include how-to stuff and link up all the tools and supplies...

Mostly I sell the books though.

My #1 items w/o a doubt is the "But out" big game dressing tool
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:23 PM »

FWIW, my "Forgotten Weapons Library" is doing its job pretty well, I think. I am getting a lot more clicks on past book reviews than before, although I'm still at only around $20/month in actual commissions.